Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Is anyone aware of a driver development tool by Jungo (WinDriver), which is supposed to make it very easy to write device drivers for Linux and embedded Linux systems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Driver development tool

Hello,

Is anyone aware of a driver development tool by
    Jungo (WinDriver), which is supposed to make it
    very easy to write device drivers for Linux and
    embedded Linux systems (I think it's for x86).

Is there any indication that there may be issues
    with a vulnerability (back door) being created by
    using this tool to create a driver for Linux?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

regards,
    John

I never heard about Jungo and went only now to their Web site for curiosity.

I think that you won't find a simple back door but if you're interested in security you should scrutinise the generated code in every case.

Generally, people take similar drivers and change them for their purposes. A thorough knowledge of the used driver is surely necessary.

I also think that real problems might result from the understanding of the sometimes strange or even erroneous behaviour of the hardware the driver is written for.

So, I can't imagine if this tool will be really helpful for an OS where you got the sources for.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    We use Jungo in our organization. However, this is only to test the firmware functionalities. The driver writers, however, write the drivers from the scratch. You can use it to learn the coding I guess. Other than that, especially for professional practices, I rather doubt it's a good idea to use.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhatdinu
    We use Jungo in our organization. However, this is only to test the firmware functionalities. The driver writers, however, write the drivers from the scratch. You can use it to learn the coding I guess. Other than that, especially for professional practices, I rather doubt it's a good idea to use.
    Thanks for the feedback, bhatdinu. I iwas also interested in knowing why you mentioned the you doubt it's a good idea to use. Is it because of a potential backdoor into the kernel? What exactly is the concern or problem?

regards,
    John

Just Joined!

Hi Jkoshi

In regards to Jungo's WinDriver, I tend to disagree with dilbert. Jungo's WinDriver, from my experience, is a very efficient driver development toolkit and I made my work in this field a lot easier. Since WinDriver uses it's own kernel module it reliefed my "headache" from dealing with the kernel level and accomplish all the driver development via user mode only. The driver wizard that comes with it found my device once I plugged it and generated some kind of a skeletal code for the driver. The header file had all the APIs, and I included it in my application for communicating with the device (USB in that case). Further more, I recall they have a fully featured evaluation prior to purchasing and full support (which was excellent with the installation issues I had). All of WinDriver's Knowledge base (user's guide, sample and tech documents) is on the web site http://www.jungo.com/support/support.html). you can look it up.

In conclusion, Our driver development team uses WinDriver (both on Linux and Windows) and it help me meet the deadlines, lots of kernel "headaches" are gone and basically I would suggest evaluating this tool