Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, My PPC board has a non-Linux OS and a proprietary boot loader. I would like the same boot loader to be able to load a Linux kernel with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting the Linux kernel without a RAM drive

Hi folks,

My PPC board has a non-Linux OS and a proprietary boot loader. I would like the same boot loader to be able to load a Linux kernel with minimal changes. Assuming that the boot loader initializes the RAM and has the Linux kernel placed anywhere I choose in memory (the way it got there is not important), can the boot loader boot the kernel without allocating a RAM drive (meaning that it would simply branch to the kernel's entry point)?

On a more general note: Are there any assumptions that the kernel makes on the bootloader initializations (other than the RAM initialization of course)? The best option for me would be that apart from RAM initializations, the kernel would initialize everything from scratch, regardless of the boot loader initializations. Is this the case indeed, or does the kernel assume it should "inherit" anything (like maybe the RAM drive) from the boot loader?

Thanks,
    D.

Just Joined!
    Basically the reason the linux kernel would "require" a ramdisk is that is needs certain modules to load the base info. An example would be having your filesystem (i.e. ext3) compile as a module and not compiled into the kernel.

If all your neccessary hardware components are compiled into the kernel, you wouldnt need to use a ramdisk.

From a linux bootloader view the boot process runs like this:

1. BIOS
    2. MBR / Stage 1 bootloader
    3. Stage 2 bootloader (i.e grub interface)
    4. Kernel (uncompress and load into memory as well as setup code) | initrd if needed
    5. setup code does the hardware and all the jazz you see
    6. Init > inittab
    7. Voila - Linux prompt

Just Joined!
    Thanks gettyUp.