Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I am currently using Suse 8.2 Pro, but I compiled 2.6.4 kernel on it.I' ve upgraded module-init-tools to 0.9.14.Still, when I boot this kernel I see in /var/log/messages ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couple questions about kernel 2.6.x modules

Hi folks,

I am currently using Suse 8.2 Pro, but I compiled 2.6.4 kernel on it.I' ve upgraded module-init-tools
    to 0.9.14.Still, when I boot this kernel I see in /var/log/messages this line:

No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.

-----------------------------------------

I made initrd image in /boot directory as I should, and correct me if I am wrong, I have a problem
    with mkinitrd (my guess: old version).Anyway, I've downloaded mkinitrd-1.0-80.src.rpm and when I tried to install
    it ( rebuild first !) I got output that it conflicts with aaa_base scripts, currently I got
    aaa_base-2003.3.18-0.So what should I do?Remove old aaa_base and install new one (which version for 2.6.4. kernel?),
    and then install appropriate mkinitrd, or just new aaa_base, or just new mkinitrd (again, which version for 2.6.x kernel?).

And another thing concerns me.When I try to load module in command line, it fails with insmod and works with modprobe.
    What is wrong?

I made a lot of assumptions in this topic, please tell me what I am doing wrong.
    Really don't know what do.If anybody has some older version of
    Suse with successfully compiled 2.6.x kernel, please write what you upgraded to get your Suse working fine with new kernel.
    Thanks in advance!
    P.S Could anybody show me useful links for downloading apropriate aaa_base and mkinitrd?

Re: Couple questions about kernel 2.6.x modules

Quote Originally Posted by Djony
    No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.
    If you look at the end of the message it gives you the answer you did not enable Modules in the kernel.

Just Joined!
    I am sure that I've compiled a loadable module support,
    as proof I am posting a part from my .config file in
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.4:

# Loadable module support
    #
    CONFIG_MODULES=y
    CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
    CONFIG_OBSOLETE_MODPARM=y
    CONFIG_KMOD=y
    "

Or there is some other option I should look for?
    Thanks!