Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello to everyone, I have already compile kernel-2.6.18 and when I try to boot I receive multiple errors relationed with permission. When the system tries to boot and after the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy permission denied after a new kernel compilation

Hello to everyone,
    I have already compile kernel-2.6.18 and when I try to boot I receive multiple errors relationed with permission. When the system tries to boot and after the root mount, the different booting scripts cannot access to /etc/mtab, /var/lock, etc directories. Several permission denied errors are printed, why?

I have a Fedora Core 5 running in a TabletPC Acer TravelMate C110
    Thank you very much in advance,
    J

Just Joined!
    Did you use the Fedora kernel source, or a kernel directly from kernel.org? Often the distro's kernel has been modified to fit the distro better and is not quite the same as the original -- and even if it is the same, it's still easier because the config is already preset to the distro's defaults.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your response.
    I took the kernel sources from kernel.org
    The new kernel version is 2.6.18
    I compiled it once with no errors but accedantily I erased the .config file
    I think that, perhaps, It's a problem of filesystems recognition. I mean that the kernel and initrd have not loaded the necessary part to recognize the filesystem associated with /proc /var /sys (that are devpts, tmpfs, proc, etc) But I am not sure, because the error was not in the mounting part at booting, it was while trying to write in those directories. So we can thing they are already mounted.
    I need to compile the kernel to allow bluetooth and to use a Motorola Headset with bscso.
    Thank again,
    J

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I need to compile the kernel to allow bluetooth and to use a Motorola Headset with bscso.
    are you compiling kernel to use BlueTooth only?
    i am using BlueTooth GPRS, Nokia 6600. Fedora ( most distors ) support bluetooth out of box.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First