Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to compile the 2.0.38 kernel for use with an embedded distribution of Linux called ET Linux. I am trying to build the kernel on a recent distribution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling 2.0.38 Kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the 2.0.38 kernel for use with an embedded distribution of Linux called ET Linux. I am trying to build the kernel on a recent distribution of Mandrake (can't remember the exact distribution number).

Anyway, I have been told on another forum that it will not be possible to compile such an old kernel on such a new system. Is this true, and is there any way around this? It is really important that I can get a working 2.0.38 kernel because it's part of a project I'm working on.

Linux Guru

Re: Compiling 2.0.38 Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Sidla
    Hi,

I'm trying to compile the 2.0.38 kernel for use with an embedded distribution of Linux called ET Linux. I am trying to build the kernel on a recent distribution of Mandrake (can't remember the exact distribution number).

Anyway, I have been told on another forum that it will not be possible to compile such an old kernel on such a new system. Is this true, and is there any way around this? It is really important that I can get a working 2.0.38 kernel because it's part of a project I'm working on.
    Have you tried a "make clean" ?

Jason

Have you tried it? There may be problems with Glibc and such but you can use two versions of Glibc and GCC if you really want to i never have though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Have you tried it?
    Yes I have tried it. It doesn't work.

Linux User
    Randomly choosing this post... have you solved it?
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)