Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there....I just installed kernel 2.6.18.3 yesterday.I'm having trouble installing some modules in kernel 2.6.18.3 on my Redhat 9.2...It gives me a couple of errors......Stuffs like my mouse don't work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with kernel 2.6.18.3 modules...

Hi there....I just installed kernel 2.6.18.3 yesterday.I'm having trouble installing some modules in kernel 2.6.18.3 on my Redhat 9.2...It gives me a couple of errors......Stuffs like my mouse don't work well....my USB ports don't work at all..my sound....e.t.c....What can I do....I'm thinking that my old modutil version isn't compatible with this kernel version,so I downloaded the latest modutil version....modutil 2.4.9....Do you think it will work?Pls someone help....Thanks...

How did you configure the kernel? Did you compile in all the modules you needed for usb and sound?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    I believe I did....but honesty,I'm kinda confused now...I'm a newbie to Linux....How can I recompile the modules now?

Hi Dukelord and welcome to Linuxforums.

The free version of RedHat stopped at 9.0. Is this RedHat you have or another distro? If RedHat, You can get most all your hardware working and the 2.6 Linux kernel to boot by going with either Fedora Core or CentOS, both RedHat based. If you are a Linux "newbie" as you say, I would recommend you not trying to compile kernels at this point, that's pretty advanced for where you are now. Besides, The distros I metioned will install the latest kernels for you when you upgrade them, and you don't even have to compile.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 11-28-2006 at 12:54 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

If you are able to format the computer and install a new distro, take Dapper Dan's advice.

Installing a new distro is nice as they usually provide much better hardware supprt. Although you get the latest kernel with Fedora, you can always try to roll your own while keeping the Fedora one. It's a great learning experience once you successfully compile your own kernel. In fact, I run my own kernel .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot.I'll work on it and keep you posted

Just Joined!
    Seems like it's gonna be a lot of bother reinstalling Linux

Actually, it's easier to install *most* Linux distros than it is to install Windows. With Windows, you have to install all the different programs and drivers after the operating system is in place. With Linux, most of the programs and drivers are already included on the install disks. Personally, I enjoy installing Linux.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I installed a new kernel.....2.6.18.3 on my Redhat 9.2,and I'm having kernel modules error messages on my boot screen...I installed the latest updates of the module-init tools and the latest version of modutils but I still have the same problem.Could someone pls help cos I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm completely clueless as to what to do next