Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wanting to upgrade my linux kernel to the latest stable version, 2.6.5 I am running Slackware 9.1 if that helps. I am basically a newb to linux so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing the Linux 2.6.5 kernel.

I am wanting to upgrade my linux kernel to the latest stable version, 2.6.5

I am running Slackware 9.1 if that helps.

I am basically a newb to linux so if you can, try to explain things easily.

1. download the source from kernel.org
    2. unpack it to /usr/src
    3. go into the kernel and type "make menuconfig". That should bring up a list you can compile into your kernel or as modules. If you are unshure about some stuff in there, type "h" as that will explain what you need and don't
    3. When you're done with that, save your kernel config and type "make all".
    4. When that is done, copy /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /.
    5. Now open up your favorite text editor and add something like this to your lilo config (can be found at /etc/lilo.conf, add the text all the way at the bottom of the file):
    "
    image = /bzImage
    root = /dev/hdXX
    label = GNU/Linux
    read-only
    "
    As you see, I have replaced the root = /dev/hd stuff with some XX's. That means you will need to specify where LILO shall look for the kernel. You can find this by either 1. Look at the other section at your lilo file, the root section there or 2. "fdisk -l" and use the partition number displayed. You cannot use your swap partition, but you must you / or /boot (or whereever you decide to put the kernel, doesn't really matter).

save it, type "lilo" and reboot.

Note: Don't remove the other kernel in the lilo config, because if the one you just made doesn't work, you will need a backup kernel.

Good luck

I'd make use of two "make commands" to make life easier:
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    # and
    make install
    After following step 2 in Kriss's answer I'd run "make oldconfig", this command will automatically detect most settings you have (you should be able to just hit enter (use the default option) for most of the questions), it will ask you for descisions on new options (iirc type ? for an description, you'll see something like "(y/N/?)" after the 'question' which shows what options you have, where the letter in CAPITALS are the default option (chosen by just hitting enter). Then you can use "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" (for an graphical inteface), to review all settings if you like (it's a good choice if you need for instance ntfs support, something wich isn't included by standard).
    Then when you're done with selecting modules, just type "make install" and execute.

When the compile is done you can use "make install" to set up your boot manager (I've used it woth GRUB, and I think it will work fine with lilo too, maybe taking a quick look in the file "README" (or if it was "INSTALL") will say something more.

After this you should be able to simply reboot (and choose the new kernel, if you have GRUB you'll have a new option in the list, if you use lilo I think it's just to hit the tab-key to see the different boot option, but I think you should be able to simply boot as usual).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.