Find the answer to your Linux question:
My system currently has a 350MHz AMD K6-2 CPU, 192MB of RAM. I am running a 2.4.19-16mdk kernel, and version 3.2 of GCC. I get the following error after trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Resolved] Cannot make bzImage after compiling 2.6.20.1 kernel

My system currently has a 350MHz AMD K6-2 CPU, 192MB of RAM.
    I am running a 2.4.19-16mdk kernel, and version 3.2 of GCC.

I get the following error after trying to compile my 2.6.20.1 kernel:

BFD: Warning: Writing section ".bss" to huge (ie negative) file offset 0xc03e7000.

objcopy: arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin: File truncated

make[2]: *** [arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin] Error 1

make[1]: *** [arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2

make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

Note that only 18% of my 20GB hard drive is being used, and has more than enough free space. What could be causing this error?
    Last edited by athenian200; 02-25-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: I found the solution myself

Just Joined!
    Never mind, I found the problem myself. It was related to the version of binutils I was using, 2.12. The minimum version theoretically required was lower than the actual requirement, apparently. Several google searches turned up an article associating BFD with binutils. At first I wasn't sure how this was relevant, but I found a message in which someone indirectly implied that an older binutils can interfere with kernel compilation. I can't remember where I found it, but the person had few x86 platforms, and after his version of Linux failed to compile the kernel, he said he would trying finding a computer "with a less ancient version of binutils." I inferred from this that an outdated version of binutils could interfere with kernel compilation, and updated mine to 2.16.1. Sure enough, the kernel compiled after the update (although it made me wait for it to recompile the entire kernel, which took about 2 and a half hours!).