Find the answer to your Linux question:
have you guys ever had the pleasure of getting this message? "System.map does not match actual kernel " coz i've re-re-re-re-compiled my 2.4 kernel and never changed the System.map. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

wrong System.map

have you guys ever had the pleasure of getting this message?

"System.map does not match actual kernel "

coz i've re-re-re-re-compiled my 2.4 kernel and never changed the System.map. i don't seem to get that message.

says there from my readings that aside from kernel log apps that use it, top uses it and ps too, and it should complain that there is a mismatch. i use the last 2 frequently. never did i get such message.

???

doesn't matter anyway.. . you could have no system.map and everything will be fine. if you don't care about the oops and debugging.. . i don't! hehehe.. .
    Registered User #345074

Linux Newbie
    Every time you move the new kernel to /boot....do you also move the new System.map you get from recompiling the kernel to /boot.

Because otherwise, that is probably why you get the error message.
    Each kernel you compile will get it's own system.map...

Anyway, like you already wrote, one doesn't have to care about that if one doesn't wish to = )

/ooop

Linux User
    nope. what i meant is that i never get a message that says the System.map doesn't match the kernel in use. based from my readings, it should say that whenever you use TOP or PS. or you get unreliable kernel logs with regards to oops or such kernel errors.

and almost all kernel compile how-tos don't say that you should add another System.map for that kernel that you compiled. it just says copy the bzImage to /boot.

plus i erase my kernel-source to save on space. so no way it can't point to the System.map in the kernel-source.

so that's why i was kinda wondering why it ain't happening. it's just curiosity. my system is doing real fine now. Linux @ 100%. no hiccups. hehehe.. .

Registered User #345074

Linux Newbie
    aha, so all is well in the land of Linux-computing = )

cool

Linux User
    yepz, A-OK!

i'll just have to remember to put in another System.map file for everytime i compile a new kernel. better to be safe. hehehe.. .
    Registered User #345074