Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: How useful do you think these kernel security features would be?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very useful

1 20.00%
  • Kinda useful

1 20.00%
  • Not very useful

0 0%
  • Completely useless

3 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well if I am understanding this correctly, a transaction table which has memory writes and/or hard disk writes, and/or configuration changes gets loaded into some kind of transaction manager, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well if I am understanding this correctly, a transaction table which has memory writes and/or hard disk writes, and/or configuration changes gets loaded into some kind of transaction manager, which checks some sort of credentials/access rights/even the ability to perform these actions on a more basic level and if this transaction is totally possible, it is performed. If not, the change is not performed. This sounds to me like stuff RSBAC and SELinux do as a security measure. As in, the evaluations that take place to see if a transaction can be performed are security rules.

Just Joined!

Talking Wow, great replies!

Hey everyone,

I've been watching this thread and am learning quite a bit. Now, to answer some questions and ask some more.

Answers:

anomie: In regards to the Windows registry comment, I knew this, however, you had no way of knowing and were probably just making sure that I knew in an attempt to clear up any ambiguity. In all honesty, I made the mistake of including the registry line in that quote that you posted. I must have gone off on a tangent as I am mostly a Windows ASM/PHP programmer and have been for a while. Sometimes, I get a bit mixed up, so thank you for catching that one In any case, you've completely understood the ideas that I was trying to express, save for the registry (which was my fault).

anomie: As far as how it qualifies as a security measure goes, I'm not sure, but seeing as how the article I originally read qualified it as a security measure, I thought it appropriate to follow suit. Also, I must say that I didn't know any of what likwid said until reading it today, so that may help answer your question as to why it is considered a security feature. Great thought provoking and legitimate questions anomie!

likwid: Woah! You've shed quite a bit of light on this topic and have spurred some serious curiosity on my part. I'm going to go off and take a look at "RSBAC" and see what it does and how it does it. Thank you for your invaluable input likwid!

/me Off to check out ol' RSBAC!

Just Joined!

Wink By the way...

By the way everyone,

I would be super siked if we could prove beyond a doubt that this technology already exists on the Linux platform, if nothing else, to say that Vista is just now implementing this technology which had already existed on an open source platform If this RSBAC is indeed akin to what the slashdot article is explaining, we may have a winner! Looks like RSBAC has been around since at least February 10th, 2005, which means Vista is a bit behind, at least in the comparable areas of the technology...

Just a thought, but might foster participation in the thread...

Thanks again to all the contributers to this thread!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    RSBAC has been around a lot longer, I haven't set it up in ages so I went to the site. It's been around since 2000 and it sort of does what's described here, though I am not sure it is quite the same. Similar ideas though...

Look Here for more info

Apparently that windows stuff isn't security related specifically, but RSBAC is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2