Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I am new to this forum. I am making some changes to tcp source code in Linux 2.6 kernel in Fedora Core 2. My doubt regarding compilation is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Compilation

Dear All,

I am new to this forum. I am making some changes to tcp source code in Linux 2.6 kernel in Fedora Core 2. My doubt regarding compilation is the following.

1. After making chages, I could sucessfully compile the kernel. However It is taking very long time. Is there any way to compile the networking code alone so that the compilation will be faster.
    2. Also is there any way of newly compiled kernel to run without rebooting the machine.

Your reply will be very helpful. Kindly respond. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Regards
    ramana

HAve you tried building it as a module? You won't need to reboot or rebuild everything just the modules
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

Kernel Compiling - Modules

Hi Juan

Yes I know building modules in Linux 2.6. But I am not sure whether I can make TCP code as a kernel loadable module.

Regards
    Ramana

Quote Originally Posted by vrbadarla
    Dear All,

I am new to this forum. I am making some changes to tcp source code in Linux 2.6 kernel in Fedora Core 2. My doubt regarding compilation is the following.

1. After making chages, I could sucessfully compile the kernel. However It is taking very long time. Is there any way to compile the networking code alone so that the compilation will be faster.
    2. Also is there any way of newly compiled kernel to run without rebooting the machine.

Your reply will be very helpful. Kindly respond. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Regards
    ramana
    hi , may i know which module did u modified and try to compile only that source , try it and let me know

Just Joined!

I am working with the following files.

Quote Originally Posted by vijay_kernel
    hi , may i know which module did u modified and try to compile only that source , try it and let me know
    Hi vijay,

I am working the following files in /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/net/ipv4/.

tcp_input.c, tcp_ipv4.c I just made some changes to these files. My question is in order to reflect these changes, should i need to compile the entire kernel or is there any other way.

Regards
    Venkataramana

makefiles may be utilized for this purpose- please consult make documentation