Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) after having tried 6.10...but did not really like it because I did not have the official version. Anyway I've been using Ubuntu for several ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

When I upgrade to 686, Keyboard does not respond

So I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) after having tried 6.10...but did not really like it because I did not have the official version.

Anyway I've been using Ubuntu for several months now..about four I guess and I have always used the default kernel which is 2.6.15-17 or something like that and I thought that maybe my 3Ghz P4 can be slightly faster if I use a 686 kernel.

So I did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-686
    and it worked fine...I rebooted as it asked and the Kernel was sure on the GRUB menu. Booted and when I got to the boot screen I could not log in because the keyboard is dead. I had the same encounter with 6.10...when I tried installing that.

Will I need to download the drivers for my keyboard? I don't even know the model it's a plain white Logitech keyboard...

Help is appreciated.

Does it work in the console?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Nope...

It says "Enter your root password or press CTRL+D to continue" I tried both and none worked. What was more strange is that the Num-lock light got stuck...I could not switch it off and as far as I know that's got nothing to do with driver support in any OS...But it works now in the 386 kernel...

Thanks