Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Experts, I compiled linux kernel : linux-2.6.21.3 with gcc version 4.1.0.....compilation went through with some warnings. Base Kernel: 2.6.20-1.2316.fc5smp One of the warning is : init/main.c:82:2: warning: #warning gcc-4.1.0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel panic on new kernel compilation

Hi Experts,

I compiled linux kernel : linux-2.6.21.3
    with gcc version 4.1.0.....compilation went through with some warnings.
    Base Kernel: 2.6.20-1.2316.fc5smp

One of the warning is :
    init/main.c:82:2: warning: #warning gcc-4.1.0 is known to miscompile the kernel. A different compiler version is recommended.

But when I reboot the system and boot with the new kernel, I get Kernel panic with
    messages "could not find /dev/root" and some chroot messages

Do I need to downgrade the GCC to some 3.x version? If so, what is the procedure for it?

Can you please help, as to how should i proceed.

Compilation Steps:
    make menuconfig
    make
    make modules_install
    make install

Thanks and Regards,
    Paresh
    Last edited by linuxforums_paresh; 05-25-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: additional info

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't think there is any reason to downgraqde to gcc 3. A few things for you to think about: Did you compile the drivers for your root filesystems into the kernel or build an initrd image? Is your grub entry for this new kernel properly configured, especially the parts that deal with partitions?

Just Joined!
    I just edited my post, and one of the point that i mentioned is about the warning, I see
    warning :
    init/main.c:82:2: warning: #warning gcc-4.1.0 is known to miscompile the kernel. A different compiler version is recommended.

Since i do; make install.....all the entries in the grub are made automatically...
    like systemmap, initrd and vmlinuz..

Thanks and Regards,
    Paresh

Just Joined!
    Hi All,

I have successfuly compiled and installed the new kernel.

This time i compiled the new kernel on the base kernel which is meant for SMP...Earlier I was compiling on Non SMP base Kernel....

I would like to know if new compiled kernel has any dependency on Base kernel

Thanks for your support

Thanks and Regards
    Paresh