Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Experts, I would like to know if the new kernel that is compiled has any dependency on the Base kernel that exist on the system Thanks and Regards, Paresh...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does new kernel compilation have any dependency on base kernel

Hi Experts,

I would like to know if the new kernel that is compiled has any dependency on the Base kernel that exist on the system

Thanks and Regards,
    Paresh

No. If your new kernel would crash for some reason, you can revert to the old one.

If your new kernel would work, you could delete the old one.

Not sure if this was the question. If not, please ask again.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply..

Let me reframe my question.....

I have two kernels on my system, one with SMP and and the other one with non-SMP.

Now i want to compile a new kernel with SMP support. Can I compile this new kernel with SMP support on either of my installed SMP or non-SMP kernel?

I mean, does it matter what my base kernel(already installed) is for new kernel compilation.

I hope it is clear this time..

Thanks and Regards,
    Paresh

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't actually tried it out to compile e.g. an SMP kernel on a non-SMP PC, but I'm pretty sure it depends only what sources you got on your PC where the compilation is done.

As the sources comprise all source files even for hardware and features that are not on your compiling PC, you can compile a new kernel independently from the hardware of the compiling PC.

I am cross-compiling kernels for a MIPS processor embedded board on an Intel PC, so I don't see why you should be able to do the same for an Intel PC only with different hardware, SMP in that case.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.