Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am working on a run time threading library in which I want to interact with the kernel to find out global system utilization (especially in SMPs). My question ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

runqueue and waitqueue length

Hi,
    I am working on a run time threading library in which I want to interact with the kernel to find out global system utilization (especially in SMPs).
    My question is: Is there a way to find out from an application that how many active threads are there in OS? By active, I mean ready to run AND already running (both separately reported or may be one number). Similarly a number for how many threads are there in wait queues (blocked on I/O or waiting for an event or a signal). A program might have multiple threads. This information is useful for runtime library developers, because they can tune their threads and other scheduling accordingly.
    Thanks for your time,
    -Khubaib

atop tool provides information about how processes are currently affecting local CPUs, this is, user time, idle time and interrupt attention. With vmstat you can retrieve IO information.
    Check man vmstat