Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Hi, I downloaded the latest stable kernel 2.6.21.6 from kernel.org and am trying to build it. However, I am getting the following error. Can someone please help me?? ........ CC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34

    problems building kernel...help


    Hi,

    I downloaded the latest stable kernel 2.6.21.6 from kernel.org and am trying to build it. However, I am getting the following error. Can someone please help me??
    ........
    CC init/version.o
    LD init/built-in.o
    LD .tmp_vmlinux1
    ld: kernel/built-in.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
    make: *** [_all] Error 2


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Linux Engineer aliov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Geneva,Beirut
    Posts
    1,078
    In order to compile another Kernel and build it you have to have the kernel devel package and the nwcurse and the gcc compilers, these aren't installed by default in Ubuntu but you can install them using the synaptic package manager.

    Hope this help.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34

    Hi..

    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    In order to compile another Kernel and build it you have to have the kernel devel package and the nwcurse and the gcc compilers, these aren't installed by default in Ubuntu but you can install them using the synaptic package manager.

    Hope this help.

    Hi Aliov,

    Thanks for the reply. Initially I didnt have the devel and libc packages. Then I did get all the packages. However, I will verify as per your suggestions. Please note that it fails on linking.

    Thanks

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Engineer aliov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Geneva,Beirut
    Posts
    1,078
    When do you get this message, it's when doing make or in the configuration part ?
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34

    when doing make....

    i Aliov,

    I get this msg when running make....
    If i need to get the devel package, how do i get it??? I ran apt-get and it says caont find package devel..

    Thanks

  7. #6
    Linux Engineer aliov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Geneva,Beirut
    Posts
    1,078
    use the synaptic package manager, enable the repositories (in fact just click on it's menu) then reload the synaptic manager, search for your packages and install them,

    One question , did you configure your kernel before, i mean did you type make menuconfig (or whatever) and manage to configure your kernel ?

    Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34

    still struggling with this error...please help

    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    use the synaptic package manager, enable the repositories (in fact just click on it's menu) then reload the synaptic manager, search for your packages and install them,

    One question , did you configure your kernel before, i mean did you type make menuconfig (or whatever) and manage to configure your kernel ?

    Regards.
    Hi,

    I am still trying to get rid of this error. My synaptic manager doesnt show anything close to devel package. Can someone please suggest me the exact name of the package??

    Or is this something that I can workaround by going into the menuconfig and unselecting some (not required ) option???

    Help please:))

    Thanks

  9. #8
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    well, make sure the package build-essential is installed first. hmm... this isn't a config problem. for whatever reason, the file built-in.o is not being created. i reckon that installing build-essential will possibly alleviate the problem as i highly doubt there's a kernel config that will cause built-in.o to not be created. if that doesn't work, then i was wrong and you'll have to go through the config menu again. if this is the case, check out the manual on Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News and look at the section dedicated to compiling your own kernel. that should help.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  10. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34

    I already have the build-essential package...

    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng View Post
    well, make sure the package build-essential is installed first. hmm... this isn't a config problem. for whatever reason, the file built-in.o is not being created. i reckon that installing build-essential will possibly alleviate the problem as i highly doubt there's a kernel config that will cause built-in.o to not be created. if that doesn't work, then i was wrong and you'll have to go through the config menu again. if this is the case, check out the manual on Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News and look at the section dedicated to compiling your own kernel. that should help.
    Hi,

    I already have the build-essential package. When I tried to apt-get, it gives me the following message:

    build-essential is already the newest version

    So, I am not sure what else to do:(

    Thanks

  11. #10
    Linux Engineer aliov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Geneva,Beirut
    Posts
    1,078
    enable the repositories of th synaptic package manager , just click on the repositories on the menu bar cloase and click reload then search the desired packages.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •