Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all, I want to ask one question ... Right now I am working on Kernel Module Programming and Learning. I want to shrink Kernel, means a Kernel with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up How To Shrink Kernel ?

Hi to all,
    I want to ask one question ...
    Right now I am working on Kernel Module Programming and Learning.
    I want to shrink Kernel, means a Kernel with having minimum services and size.
    For example, I do not want printing service in my kernel ...
    Another example is say I do not want /proc filesystem module in my kernel ...
    So my problem is how to modify the Kernel and how to make it running after modifying.
    I am also googling in this regard but any good suggestion in this regard is appreciated.
    Thanking in Advance ....
    Waiting for Good Response ...

you modify the configuration of your kernel to minimize it, in the kernel source trees run make menuconfig and disable all what you want.
    after you run make bzImage , make modules , make modules_install, you copy the bzImage to /boot and configure grub/lilo to boot it , not sure it'll boot , probably you'll have a kernel panic due to lack of configuration but in principle you have to configure the kernel to include and built in the ext2 and your filesytem .
    <*> means built in the kernel will load the specified option if needed
    <M> as modules will be installed in /lib/modules/$(uname -r) and this modules in general should be loaded manually .

i spend a lot of time to optimize the kernel to run my machine , but in the device driver i enable everything related to usb in order to let udev and HAL runs properly.

a trick also can be used to load the required modules at the boot time by using the initial ram device .

Hope this help.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.