Find the answer to your Linux question:
alright, I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn right now on a GeForce6100SM-M computer (PCM61 sound) and I read somewhere that the 2.6.20-16 kernel that comes standard with Feisty will not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile changing/updating kernel

alright, I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn right now on a GeForce6100SM-M computer (PCM61 sound) and I read somewhere that the 2.6.20-16 kernel that comes standard with Feisty will not support this soundcard, but the 2.6.21 or 2.6.22 kernel will. Is there anyway I can swap out or patch the kernel so I can upgrade and get my sound working? I'm a noob, so the more simple and step by step the better! and if I'm completely wrong and someone knows a better way, please let me know before I jack up my system.

if you are sure that these sound cards works only with the new recent version of the kernel so you can proceed compiling your kernel. also a patch require to recompile the kernel again.

but to be sure before proceeding to patch or to recompile the kernel again i would like to suggest something .

download these two packages from Slackware Package Browser: Search results
    1)- kernel-modules-2.6.21.5-i486-2
    2)- kernel-huge-2.6.21.5-i486-2

this kernel is compiled against almost all the drivers in the linux kernel , extract the first one and you'll have a directory called 2.6.21.5 copy it to /lib/modules and extract the second and you'll have a file called vmlinux, copy it to /boot and then edit the grub configuration file to boot it , the file is menu.lst wish is in /boot/grub , make an entry like your ubuntu one but don't append any option to your kernel try to boot this kernel and see if your sound works.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

I wouldn't suggest using Slackware kernel packages since they're optimized for Slackware and will not work quite well with Ubuntu.
    If you really want to update I'd try the kernel sources from Gutsy and then compile them yourself. Vanillar kernels from kernel.org won't work as expected because of some extra things in Ubuntu such as usplash
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo View Post
    I wouldn't suggest using Slackware kernel packages since they're optimized for Slackware and will not work quite well with Ubuntu.

But this Kernel (the huge one) is compiled against almost everything he don't need a initial ram and the patch of the splash screen used in ubuntu ,that's why i suggest this one , i've done this and my computer runs well without problem

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.