Find the answer to your Linux question:
EDIT: I have a new question. See my second edit in post 3 for details. My Ubuntu 7.04 is installed on a disk that's roughly 9GB, as I first installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Out Of Disk Space... *Problem Solved*

EDIT: I have a new question. See my second edit in post 3 for details.

My Ubuntu 7.04 is installed on a disk that's roughly 9GB, as I first installed it just to try out Linux. I want to buy a larger disk before I move the installation over to what is currently primary disk...

Anyway, I was compiling a new kernel and the drive ran completely out of disk space while doing so. The compiling process cut off as soon as this happened. I am now unable to log in except by pressing Alt-Ctrl-F1 and doing it from a text line.

When I began compiling I had around 1.6GB of free disk space. I thought that would be plenty of space. Evidently I was wrong.

I'm now booted into Windows and typing this. I have the IFS driver installed in Windows so I have full access to my root filesystem for Ubuntu. The only thing I need to know is which files to delete.

Does anyone know where the files that are the result of the compiling process are stored? Are there any temporary files made in the process that I can delete? If so, where are they?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

Something is wrong somewhere. 1.6GB free space is more than enough for kernel Compilation. Boot up Ubuntu and Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 to log in.
    Execute this
    Code:
    df -h
    sudo apt-get clean all
    df -h
    Does it free up some space? Post the output of df -h command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The output after doing what you said is as follows:

Code:
    Filesystem     Size  Used  Avail  Use%  Mounted On
    /dev/sdb1      8.8G  8.3G   74M   100%  /
    varrun         502M   12K  502M     1%  /var/run
    varlock        502M     0  502M     0%  /var/lock
    procbususb     502M  124K  502M     1%  /proc/bus/usb
    udev           502M  124K  502M     1%  /dev
    devsh          502M     0  502M     0%  /dev/shm
    lrm            502M   24M  480M     5%  /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
    /dev/sda1       51G   39G   13G    75%  /media/sda1
    /dev/sda5      8.8G  8.1G  664M    93%  /media/sda5
    /dev/sda3       15G   12G  2.4G    84%  /media/sda3
    /dev/sdb1 is my root drive and is also the drive I'm having problems with, as you can see.

I actually ran this from the text line of Recovery Mode instead of from Ctrl-Alt-F1, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Okay, so I can log in now. Gparted reports that I have about 532MB of free disk space. The output of df -h hasn't changed any.

EDIT2: I deleted the directory that the kernel that I was compiling was in. It was 1.6GB large.

Now I have a new question. I still want to compile the kernel but it seems that I won't be able to compile it on the HDD that I'm on. Is it possible to compile from a directory other than /usr/src (in other words, on one of my other partitions that has more space), and then move it over to /usr/src once everything is compiled?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How does that much space occupied by Ubuntu? Did you install any Server Package? Whats in your Home folder?
    Execute this
    Code:
    du -h -s ~
    Now I have a new question. I still want to compile the kernel but it seems that I won't be able to compile it on the HDD that I'm on. Is it possible to compile from a directory other than /usr/src (in other words, on one of my other partitions that has more space), and then move it over to /usr/src once everything is compiled?
    Yes you can but you have to mount /usr/src on new partition and create symlinks. I would suggest you to free up some space in / partition only.

I haven't installed any server packages, and my home folder has 473MB of stuff in it, according to the output of that command.

But I think I figured it out. I thought I was deleting things entirely (I used sudo nautilus so I could mess with things with a GUI to work with. Turns out my root trash had over 3 GB of junk in it. -.-

Problem solved. Thanks for your help!

Glad to help you. 3GB Trash.. Unlike Windows OSes, there isn't any size limit of Trash in Linux and One should empty trash regularly.