Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to learn more about forcedeth, but I can't get much information from the web. Does the newer version of forcedeth get included with newer kernels? This question pretty ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Forcedeth and the Linux kernel

I'm trying to learn more about forcedeth, but I can't get much information from the web. Does the newer version of forcedeth get included with newer kernels?

This question pretty much revolves around a scenario I'm having with the Linux kernel and the way a certain device works at the moment.

I've noticed that my nVidia ethernet card works with forcedeth (I don't know which version) inside of Ubuntu Feisty. I can't figure out how to find which version of forcedeth is being used. If you can tell me, that would be awesome.

For what I know, forcedeth in Feisty is with the 2.6,20.* kernel. I look at this, and I notice that I haven't found any other LInux kernel below 2.6.20 to work with my nvidia card.

I believe this has to do with the forcedeth driver, but I have no way of proving it. I have no way of proving it, because I can't figure out the version of the forcedeth driver.

Yet I'm still thinking the forcedeth driver correlates the the Linux kernel being used.

So, does each Linux kernel that is released come with a certain version of forcedeth? Is there a way of finding out which kernel comes with which version of forcedeth?

forcedeth.ko

Hello,
    I think the version of forcedeth is different for each kernel, but am not sure. I have 2 different kernels & it is the same size 50976. with different dates.
    the file is in /lib/modules/2.6.something/kernel/drivers/net/forcedeth.ko
    will keep looking... try locate forcedeth
    nigelc

forcedeth how to find the version

I have found out how to find the version. do a "dmesg |grep forced"

mine is Version 0.59