[I originally posted this in the SUSE Linux forums, but I soon came to realize that since this was not just a problem I was having with SUSE but with all distributions that there was a problem with the compilation process itself.]
I just purchased a new external USB dialup modem. Amazingly, not only was it supported by Linux, but the Linux drivers were actually included on the CD-ROM. So I went to my box, fired up SUSE, and opened up the driver's readme file. I began to install. I started by unpacking the tar file. I soon realized that I needed to install the Linux kernel source files for the installation to complete. So I did this immediatly in YaST. Note that I do have the required make, gcc and binutils packages installed.
So. I go back to the modem driver directory and type in
I get a load of error messages shot back at me. Something likeCode:
Okay. So not exactly like that. But you get the idea. At the end of the very long collection of error messages I was given isCode:
blah.h WARNING blah blah blah change token "blah" to "blah"
Or something to that effect. So I looked in the readme file again and realize that I need to edit the "KERNEL=INCLUDES" entry in the makefile to the path of the local Linux header files. So I entered in the path (/lib/modules/220.127.116.11-20a-default, aka /lib/modules/'uname -r'). And still I got the same errors.Code:
gcc *** error 1
If it is of any importance, note that I am using the SmartLink Linux drivers. They came off of the included CD-ROM so they should work just fine with the modem. I just can't get the goddam thing to compile. I've tried every single possibile include directory and nothing works. Nope. It just shoots the same old errors back at me. I know that the modem itself is functional since it works just fine in Windows.