Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just tried knoppix. I like it but have one question. I put the cd in, boot up, it works fine. Can I now run the OS but take the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix question on running without the CD

I just tried knoppix. I like it but have one question. I put the cd in, boot up, it works fine. Can I now run the OS but take the CD out or does it run off of it? I ask because I want to use other CDs for music, games, etc...
    K

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Knoppix, but think you can use the toram option at boot time to load the system to RAM, and then you can take the CD out. Maybe someone will correct if that's wrong.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I don't run Knoppix, but think you can use the toram option at boot time to load the system to RAM, and then you can take the CD out. Maybe someone will correct if that's wrong.
    m8 didn't know of this option but won't it require a swap partition justt in case the RAM is insufficient.
    @kenneth well for knoppix 3.7 i did copy the entire cd on the hd and at the boot screen just gave the boot option as boot=/dev/sda5
    well if it has a option there do that after that u can remove the cd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance View Post
    m8 didn't know of this option but won't it require a swap partition justt in case the RAM is insufficient.
    Yeah, I think it requires something like 1GB or more of RAM to work, but I've never used it so I'm not sure if a SWAP is required.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yeah, I think it requires something like 1GB or more of RAM to work, but I've never used it so I'm not sure if a SWAP is required.
    yeh i thought so coz while installing knoppix at a friend's place with 256mb we had to create a new swap partition thru partition magic