Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am coming back to Feather (Knoppix) from Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. The Feather forum appears to be VERY inactive. My log in does not work, there is no contact emails, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Feather Help, Thunderbird, Samba

I am coming back to Feather (Knoppix) from Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. The Feather forum appears to be VERY inactive. My log in does not work, there is no contact emails, Private Messaging is disabled and as a result I cannot even get on to ask a simple question.

My apt-get is out of date, how do I update apt-get?

How can I get Thunderbird, I can't find it on the desktop menu for enhancement installs?

Is there a tutorial for setting up Samba for networking on a Windows network?

All of these were once on the Feather forum site, but I cannot log in to ask where they went....

Thanks for any help.

Just Joined!
    Hmm... Well, I haven't ever used Feather linux, but I have used Knoppix quite a bit.

For apt-get, just type in
    apt-get update
    and it should be updated.

As I said, I haven't used feather, so I'm not sure if the normal samba configuration method works for you, but here it is anyways.

Samba Tutorial (FC2)

What version of feather do you have? If you have the latest, then thunderbird should already be installed. You could try just typing in thunderbird in the terminal. Who knows.

Anyways, I haven't used feather so I'm sure that someone will come along with more answers. At least you should be able to have an updated apt-get now. XD;;;;

I have tried "apt-get update" and I just get a string of errors. I cant even copy and paste the error message out of the terminal into this thread for evaluation. The feather linux forum is apparently "out of business". I also noticed that the "current" release is over 2 years old and there are VERY few posts recently on the Feather Forum, perhaps the distro is going by the wayside...

Perhaps I will just uninstall it and try DSL or ZenWalk. I liked Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS both BUT I am running XP as my main OS and linux under VirtualBox. I need something lightweight enough to run fast in a virtual machine.

I have to have XP for my work (ActiveX scripting) and it has to run fast - that is why I VirtualBox the linux. Any suggestions other than DSL or perhaps ZenWalk?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like feather linux is going anywere anymore. ^^;; It probably is suffering due to how popular DSL, Puppy and some of the other small distro's have become.

Damn small linux is awesome. I'd definitly recomend it. You can even download other windows managers like KDE and Icewm in DSL. That, and it runs WONDERFULLY under Qemu. I haven't ran it under VirualBox, but I'm sure it would work. I'd also recomend Puppy linux. It's very nice, lite distro and it supports SO much hardware. It has 3g-ntfs in it by default. I had some issue's getting DSL to read my NTFS partition, but in puppy you can mount just about anything. XD Still though, DSL is awesome. I don't think you could go wrong with either. (Just know that you'll be in for quite a bit of work to get NTFS working with DSL)

I've never used VirualBox. Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by minoru_whitehat View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like feather linux is going anywere anymore. ^^;; It probably is suffering due to how popular DSL, Puppy and some of the other small distro's have become.

Damn small linux is awesome. I'd definitly recomend it. You can even download other windows managers like KDE and Icewm in DSL. That, and it runs WONDERFULLY under Qemu. I haven't ran it under VirualBox, but I'm sure it would work. I'd also recomend Puppy linux. It's very nice, lite distro and it supports SO much hardware. It has 3g-ntfs in it by default. I had some issue's getting DSL to read my NTFS partition, but in puppy you can mount just about anything. XD Still though, DSL is awesome. I don't think you could go wrong with either. (Just know that you'll be in for quite a bit of work to get NTFS working with DSL)

I've never used VirualBox. Is it good?
    Yes, VirtualBox is great. I have to use Windows every day for my work, the industry specific software that I use only works on Windows due to ActiveX scripting. OF course you must share resources with XP so DSL seems to be a nice candidate. I have it installed in VB now but cannot log on to the DSL forums to ask questions. I am sure that there is some setup procedure after installation for Samba, upgrades, etc but cannot find anything. I am not a linux pro but I know enough to semi get around.

I want to install Thunderbird and set up Samba for sharing/printing on a Windows network but do not know how, any help?

Quote Originally Posted by minoru_whitehat View Post
    Hmm... Well, I haven't ever used Feather linux, but I have used Knoppix quite a bit.

For apt-get, just type in and it should be updated.

What version of feather do you have? If you have the latest, then thunderbird should already be installed. You could try just typing in thunderbird in the terminal. Who knows.
    I don't anymore, I uninstalled it due to the inactivity on the forum and absence of how-to's/help...

Just Joined!
    Well, if you're talking about using samba in Damn Small Linux, you can download the samba package from the mydsl repository and just use the GUI to connect. It's very easy with the gui. You just type in the IP of the machine you want to connect to and it should show up in the main window. Double click it and you should see the shares. Then you right click it and click mount.

For thunderbird, go to the mydsl repository and download it. It's listed as T-bird I believe. I'm not sure though. Haven't used dsl in ages. ^^;;

If you have any questions about dsl ask me though, I'll probably be able to help you. *bows*

Just Joined!
    Oh, and I'm trying out Virtualbox and I absolutely LOVE it. XD I can't wait to try it out on my Vista machine. (I REALLY want to get XP on it.)