Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got DSL running on a flashdrive and can connect to the net via plugging into to my wireless router. DSL isn't recognizing my Atheros wireless card. My linux level ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down Atheros wireless card undetected

I've got DSL running on a flashdrive and can connect to the net via plugging into to my wireless router. DSL isn't recognizing my Atheros wireless card.

My linux level is still very newb but I can follow instructions so long as they are detailed. Researching other strings let me to use this command in bash:

lspci
    numbers...words
    yatta yatta
    0000:02:00.0:Ethernet Controller: Atheros Communication, Inc. : Unknown device 0 01c
    (rev01)

I'd like some detailed information on commands I'd need to get DSL to recognize my wireless card. It appears to see it but not. Thanks for any help in advance. I'd have posted the entire reply but can't figure out how to copy and paste from bash.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    You don't say which version you're using. But since it does not recognize your wireless card, I'd bet your version is older than the PC that it is installed in.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Many distros come standard with Atheros drivers if it isn't 802.11n. If DSL does not have it, you should be able to download via apt-get. To see if it's already present, open a terminal and as 'su' do:
    Code:
    locate ath_pci
    If you see it, do:
    Code:
    modprobe ath_pci
    ...then proceed with your wireless configuration. (Sorry, I haven't used DSL in a long while so I can't advise you on their network utilities.) If ath_pci is not found, try from the command line as root:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Then:
    Code:
    apt-get install madwifi
    If it gets installed, go back to the above modprobe command. Good luck.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Dapper Dan,

Thanks for your reply and help. Unfortunately, my Damn Small Linux Distro 3.4.3, opening a window with GNU Bash 2.05b the apt-get command isn't recognized even when I'm logged in as root.

I also received command not found when I tried the locate command.

I found something that said apt-get is disabled by default in DSL now. Maybe they have their own system of package management. As I say, I haven't used DSL in a long time. Anyway, the link said to re-enable apt-get, you do from the command line:
    Code:
    rxvt -rv -T "DSL Apt and Dpkg Restore" -e sudo dpkg-restore
    Try that and see. Then, (if you have a wired connection going), try "apt-get-ing" the drivers.

EDIT: Also, if "locate" isn't working in DSL, go right to modprobe-ing ath_pci. If there are no errors, it likely means it is installed. Then try configuring Wireless from there.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Not sure on the 3.4.3 iso(couldn't get it to dl), but on the 4.0 rc1 iso the madwifi driver works out of the box.

Just doing

modprobe ath_pci

Then going to the DSL menu, selecting "Setup>Net-setup>iwconfig
    Putting in my info, I was online with the madwifi driver.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ