Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I went to the pages you recommended and will place my order for one on amazon.com. Before I place the order, however, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

56kmodem dial up setup problem

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I went to the pages you recommended and will place my order for one on amazon.com. Before I place the order, however, I’m wondering if there’s anything else that you think I might need to order for my old compaq pressario to boot up my 2G USB stick? I don’t think the Bios supports a boot using USB. Is there a way around this using some Linux software or do I need some extra hardware, etc? While I’m at it, and since I’m limited on my 10GB internal HD, I may want to install another Linux distro on my external Trekstor 100GB external hard drive connected to a USB hub. If there is anything else I need to buy to get my old, but reliable, computer fully Linux compatible, then please advise me so that I can minimize the chances of running into another roadblock and all will go as smooth as possible. I’ trying to get away from Bill Gates and into Linux as much as possible.

I no longer get my e-mail forum notifications. I’ve searched for the administrator’s e-mail to notify Linux and can’t find the button. Do you have the URL to that page or e-mail?

Again, thanks for your time and assistance in helping me to learn about Linux.

I've never tried running Linux from a USB device but there are a few distros out there that target doing that. If your bios isn't configured to boot USB, I *think* I remember reading there is a way to boot first to a floppy that then tells the computer to boot the USB device, but I could be wrong about that. If you are using a laptop and need 56k modem connectivity, you might get by with a PCMCIA devise too. This one is reported to work with Linux here.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

I didn’t find too much material on what this card does (Rom, Ram, modem, fax). I went to this page pcmcia - Linux Command - Unix Command, but it above my level of understanding.

Is this card supposed to make my current Conexant modem compatible with Linux or does the PCMCIA completely bypasses it and is used as a modem in itself? Is that the idea? This card certainly seems more portable than an external serial modem, but are there any othe pros and cons of the 2 options, external serial modem and PCMCIA, that I should consider before making a final choice? I prefer not getting into my computer’s registry, etc, and changing codes around. I prefer the easiest one to install and get running.
    I have never seen a pcmcia card before and was looking at the picture of the card on the page you gave me to see if there were any dimensions given. I’m trying to determine if that card will fit into a small slot on the right side of my laptop. I have no idea what that slot is for. I don’t know if it’s a Type 1 or Type 2. It is right close to 5 cm total width. The center 4 cms of the width is thicker (about 2 or 3 mm.) than the edges (about 1 mm. thick) of the slot. The picture with no dimensions of the card may be deceptive, but it looks bigger than the slot on my laptop. So I decided to look under “device manager” and I found PCMCIA adapters: Texas Instruments PCI-1410 Cardbus Controller. So I guess that slot is for a PCMCIA card. But I still don’t know if this card will fit my slot?

So my being completely ignorant about this, is there any installation procedures, etc. in order to use the card or do I just purchase the card, slide it into the slot, and insert my DSL cd into the cd driver and DSL will boot up and connect me to the Internet?

Which would you select for whatever reasons you may have? Is there a page that gives a little more info on a laymen’s level than what I could find?

I used this device years ago and was happy with its performance. It is a PCMCIA device so it should be no problem as almost all Notebooks have PCMCIA slots. I'm not sure how all this will work when booting a USB stick from a laptop. I only know that it worked well for me with a Linux Operating system installed to the hard disk in the laptop.

Yes, it acts as a modem. Only an active phone connection into it is necessary.

Just Joined!

Thanks, I'll order it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simon View Post
    Thanks, I'll order it.
    It's been a few years since I used this device. I cannot imagine that things have changed to where it wouldn't work with Linux anymore. Still, you understand I cannot guarantee your satisfaction.

EDIT: I've been reserching it, and it seems this device works with the xirc2ps_cs driver. We need to first know whether or not it is included in your distro so we don't have to go compiling... I'm not sure you're ready for that.

Open a terminal in your distro and as root do:
    Code:
    updatedb
    Then:
    Code:
    locate xirc2ps_cs
    and see if it turns up. It shows up as a module in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 10-22-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Just Joined!

I sure hope that Linux supports the card you told me to get because I just spent 27 of my hard earned green for the card that you recommended me to get.

I’m not sure about this root business, so I right clicked on the DSL desktop. Moved cursor to xshells, root access. A window entitled “root shell” appeared. I typed “updatedb” and it said “no such file or directory” along with other stuff I didn’t understand. Didn’t see anything that said “module in Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simon View Post
    I sure hope that Linux supports the card you told me to get because I just spent 27 of my hard earned green for the card that you recommended me to get.
    Correction: I did not recommend that you purchase it. I told you that it is reported to work with Linux, that it worked for me years ago and that it is a 56k PCMCIA card that works with notebooks with a PC slot. It is your responsibility to substantiate that it is what you need with further research, and ultimately it is your decision whether or not to purchase it.

I'm still not getting a clear picture of your setup. You have Damn Small Linux installed to the hard drive on your laptop? Or are you somehow running DSL from a USB stick? Are you running it from the CD only? What exactly are you running Linux from and how?

Just Joined!
    I mention in my earlier posts that I'm totally new to Linux, I have a compaq pressario,etc and that I had downloaded and burned a CD of DSL, since it was made out to be so simple to use. When I tried to boot, I couldn't do the dial-up conf. I really don't know how I could have said it better. So if you tell me that something works for Linux, and you have the information about my computer and what I'm trying to do, it's natural that I'm going to follow your example. I have no where else to turn. I even asked which would be better in your viewpoint, the modem or the external drive. Doesn't that tell you that I'm putting my trust and faith in what you say and inclined to go with whichever you mention. I did try to substantiate it, but there are so many pages (at one time I had 40 tabs open on Firefox), with so much information all over the place, that you really have to know what you want in technical language, etc. and finally one gives up. I managed to find one page that had a list and did say that the xircom card "works" with Linux. It didn't say which distro. Again it turns out to be a dead end. So again it's vague and one is left in limbo.

I only have DSL, I believe 3.4 version which, unless it just changed, is the latest that I know of, on a CD that I burned. I put the CD in the driver and it does it's thing. When I try to go through the dialup configuration. Here's my original post again "I’ve never used Linux before. I’m trying to install DSL that's supposed to be easy and can’t even do the dial-up setup config. I entered PAP, like was suggested. Then tried clicking “Dialup” and nothing happens. The “ppp dial manager” page has 14OCT date, time, root, pwd, user=root, and a bunch other stuff. It’s all greek to me. I tried entering my isp dial up setting user name. Again, no cigar. I don’t understand what it is they want?" The DSL webpage gave me the impression that if you install the cd in the cd drive, that was basically all that that was required. The boot, connection to Internet, everything was to be done automatically. It didn't happen that way.

Does Linux have an organized page that lists every distro, next to that, a column which
    list all the computers that support any particular distro, next to that, a column that list all if any additional hardware or software will be required , next to that, a column that has a listing of where (URL's) to find the things (hardware, software) required, and etc. No where on the DSL page does it mention anything about needing another modem, Pcmcia, etc. Why is it they don't give all, not just a couple, but all the requirements? It would sure make life a whole lot easier. It's seems odd to me that no one has ever done that.

You got off on talking about DSL on a USB device and all that so I was not sure where you were with what you were trying to do. I am certainly willing to help if you ask and need it as anyone here, but YOU need to understand that what I suggest is just that. Suggestions. I cannot know all the facets of what you are doing on the other end. You must accept responsibility for your own decisions.

I've not used DSL recently so I cannot know what they have and have not changed or included. If there is no apparant dialing utility like kppp, then my suggestion would be to use Kubuntu which is very good with hardware configuration and also has the proper drivers for your device included as a module. Kubuntu also has kppp which is a very intuitive and easy to configure dialer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast