Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
In accordance with post 37, I pulled out the card and booted DSL. I typed “modprobe xirc2ps_cs” and pressed Enter. The cursor moved down. I typed “lsmod”. Happily, I saw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In accordance with post 37, I pulled out the card and booted DSL. I typed “modprobe xirc2ps_cs” and pressed Enter. The cursor moved down. I typed “lsmod”. Happily, I saw “xirc2ps_cs” using size 11812. Also saw pcmcia_core and yenta_socket. I proceeded to configure pppdialer again. I’m sure I configured it correctly.

Next I proceed to install the modem cd that came with the xircom card. First, I reinserted the card into the slot and turned on the laptop in Windows with the telephone line still hooked up to the back of my computer. I don’t know if that makes any difference at this point. Anyway, I then inserted the modem cd in the cd driver and heard the drive running and saw a tiny cd icon appear next to the cursor but nothing else showed up on the desktop. I don’t know if the contents of the cd are displayed somewhere else. This throws me for a loop.

Just Joined!
    I went to “My Computer” and found where the modem cd contents were located. I double clicked and a window opened with 12 yellow folders and a notepad file in it. I have no clue on what to do with these folders.

To install the hardware and get it going in Windows, you are on your own. I have no idea how to connect it there. There should be some instructions somewhere on getting it going under Windows. You will not use the cd to get the device working in Linux, the cd is for Windows. It soulds like you did everything right in DSL, and if the three modules are there like you saw doing lsmod, slide the card into the slot, plug in the 56k phone line to it and then proceed to configure the device using the pppdialer, then try dialing out and connecting with it.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I’m still having trouble. I connected the phone line to the card.
    When I clicked dial-up, I got “can’t get terminal parameters” and also “connect script failed”. I posted below all the entries I made during the configuration process. Maybe you will detect something I entered wrong.

Create a connection : OK
    Provider name: I entered “provider”. (not sure if that is a correct entry)
    Configure name servers (DNS): Static
    IP number: I left this blank since I think you said that didn’t apply to me.
    IP Secondary: Same answer as above.
    Authentication Method for Provider: PAP
    User name: Username given to me by my ISP
    Password: password given to me by my ISP
    Speed: 115200
    Pulse or tone: Tone
    Phone number: I typed the ISP phone number with no hyphen.
    Choose modem configuration method: Yes
    Select Modem port: Manual
    Manually select modem port: /dev/tty/S1
    Finish: OK

I'll set up my modem and go through the process with pppdialer in DSL tomorrow so I can better advise you... Until then, try allowing pppdialer to automatically find the device rather than choosing it manually. Also try several different ones... /dev/modem/ should be first, then try ttyS0, ttyS1 and so on up the line.

Just Joined!
    The problem is that the "Select modem port" window doesn't give any other options. You are forced to accept "Manual" option because there are no other options on that page. If I "cancel", it takes me back to the beginning. I tried moving the arrow keys, thinking there may ba a way to skip this window and continue, but I was ultimately forced to say "OK" in order to go to the next window entitled "Manually select modem port". I tried moving the arrow keys to select an other option, but it didn't work. Again I was forced to say "OK" to /dev/tty/s1.

How do I know if a connection is made? What is the indication? Does a small icon appear anywhere on the DSL desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by jim simon View Post
    I’m still having trouble. I connected the phone line to the card.
    When I clicked dial-up, I got “can’t get terminal parameters” and also “connect script failed”.
    I'm coming to you now from DSL and pppdialer and my external modem. (boy I'd forgotten how slow 56k was!) Anyway, I get the same errors when using /dev/ttyS1. When I changed that parameter to ttyS0, I got connected. Yours will likely be on either ttyS0, ttyS2, ttyS3 or ttyS4. Once in SuSE, wvdial (another command line dialing utility) actually found my external modem at ttyS14!. Below your configuration looks for the most part right. The places in red are things I think need to be changed...
    Create a connection : OK
    Provider name: I entered “provider”. (You can just put your ISP's name here)
    Configure name servers (DNS): (Use "Dynamic" instead of static)
    Now N.A. IP number: I left this blank since I think you said that didn’t apply to me.
    Now N.A. IP Secondary: Same answer as above.
    Authentication Method for Provider: PAP
    User name: Username given to me by my ISP
    Password: password given to me by my ISP
    Speed: 115200
    Pulse or tone: Tone
    Phone number: I typed the ISP phone number with no hyphen.
    Choose modem configuration method: Yes
    Select Modem port: Manual
    Manually select modem port: /dev/ttyS* (keep re-configuring this until you find the right one as stated above. When you edit it, backspace out the last digit and enter then next one. Save and exit as before.)
    Finish: OK
    Save configuration and exit, then click on "Dial."

Just Joined!
    Well we finally made it to the finish line. I made the connection after over 5 years of reading and trying to install Linux distros with their live cd’s and I never had any success until now. Let me say that I had to go to /dev/tty/S4 before it worked. I want to thank you for all your help and patience. I don’t know how in the world you figured all this stuff out, but let me say this,-- I could never have done this on my own. I don’t think there are too many people out there that could have got this to work on there own. I am curious as to why there are so many sites that talk about how easy it is to set up and get Linux working. In my opinion, it is not easy. I hate to think what it would be like to do a hard drive partition and install. One has to know a lot about Linux and codes, etc. Anyway, I have a few other questions about DSL, for example, is there something similar to “My Computer” on Windows? Is there anything like quicklaunch? I don’t want to break any forum rules, so is it OK if I ask questions on this same thread or should I go to another thread? If so, what is the URL of the correct place for this newbie to ask and learn how to use my new DSL toy?

One thing I noticed is that DSL, being that it uses only RAM memory, is not as fast as it is made out to be. I’m a bit disappointed because it moves at a snails pace, but I’ll play around with it as a learning experience in Linux. Do you know if all Linux distros will work with this Xircom card? Where do I go to get help on installing these 2 xircom cd’s that are for Windows? I don’t like having to switch the telephone line from one modem to another to use Windows or DSL.

I may want to try another one of these small distros that occupies only RAM. Do you have any recommendations for one that might be faster and better than DSL?

I’m thinking of possibly buying a new computer soon. I’ve already checked with DELL about Linux, but they told me that DELL does not sell nor support Linux. I thought they did. Anyway, do you know of anyone who sells a good reputable computer with a very friendly Linux OS and that supports Linux in case of problems?

Thanks again for the fine job and knowledge that you demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simon View Post
    Well we finally made it to the finish line. I made the connection after over 5 years of reading and trying to install Linux distros with their live cdís and I never had any success until now. Let me say that I had to go to /dev/tty/S4 before it worked. I want to thank you for all your help and patience. I donít know how in the world you figured all this stuff out, but let me say this,-- I could never have done this on my own. I donít think there are too many people out there that could have got this to work on there own.
    Hi Jim, I'm glad you got it going! The thing is, that's true with most things. You could never have learned to drive a car without someone who had already done it giving you the benefit of their knowlege. All of us rely on the knowlege of others to get anything accomplished.
    I am curious as to why there are so many sites that talk about how easy it is to set up and get Linux working. In my opinion, it is not easy. I hate to think what it would be like to do a hard drive partition and install. One has to know a lot about Linux and codes, etc.
    Has that been your experience? I haven't seen these sites. Most of the ones I've seen give instruction on how to get things done in Linux, but I've yet to see one declare that Linux is easy... Just the same, I've never seen a site that proclaimed Windows was either either. Again, it's all in gaining the knowlege. The best way to do that is to use Google. I daresay a day goes by that I don't "Google" for an answer to a Linux question because in almost all circumstances, someone else has already found an answer to your specific problem. Just look what gets returned when Googleing for xirc2ps_cs! Now that you have your Xircom adapter working in DSL, it will be a lot easier to get it going in another distro (that has the drivers for it).
    Anyway, I have a few other questions about DSL, for example, is there something similar to ďMy ComputerĒ on Windows? Is there anything like quicklaunch?
    I don't know about quicklaunch... not even sure what that is, but some distros have something similar to "My Computer." I think Ubuntu has something like that.
    I donít want to break any forum rules, so is it OK if I ask questions on this same thread or should I go to another thread? If so, what is the URL of the correct place for this newbie to ask and learn how to use my new DSL toy?
    Yes, you should post new questions in a new thread. Since they are about DSL, you can also start a new thread under the knoppix help forum like you did with this one.
    One thing I noticed is that DSL, being that it uses only RAM memory, is not as fast as it is made out to be. Iím a bit disappointed because it moves at a snails pace, but Iíll play around with it as a learning experience in Linux.
    All live CD distro's are going to run much slower in ram than if they were installed to hard drive, and especially so, when running them on older hardware.
    Do you know if all Linux distros will work with this Xircom card?
    No, not out of the box. Many do not have the required driver for your device available which would require a kernel recompile to include them. I know the *buntu's have the right drivers already included, but my Slackware 12, and Crux 2.3 do not. Much of the old telephone 56k drivers are getting deprecated as technology has moved in full force toward wireless and high speed Ethernet.
    Where do I go to get help on installing these 2 xircom cdís that are for Windows?
    See? It's not just Linux that you have to learn about! Again, Google is your best friend. Try Googleing your card's make and model along with "Windows."
    I donít like having to switch the telephone line from one modem to another to use Windows or DSL.
    I don't blame you. The answer to getting the card going in Windows in on the Internet and/or the install cd that came with it.
    I may want to try another one of these small distros that occupies only RAM. Do you have any recommendations for one that might be faster and better than DSL?
    Puppy Linux is good. Again, try Googleing "small Linux distro."
    Iím thinking of possibly buying a new computer soon. Iíve already checked with DELL about Linux, but they told me that DELL does not sell nor support Linux. I thought they did.
    Then they told you wrong. Dell now offers Ubuntu Linux on many of their offerings.
    Anyway, do you know of anyone who sells a good reputable computer with a very friendly Linux OS and that supports Linux in case of problems?
    Dell.
    Thanks again for the fine job and knowledge that you demonstrated.
    You're quite welcome! I learned a lot too... mostly from Google!

oz
    forum.guy
    Jim, I'm locking this thread because it's become a spam magnet for some reason.

We've already deleted about 7 or 8 spam posts from it. If you should need further help regarding this issue, please start a new thread.
    oz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5