Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I have a Compaq Presario model 1200US with 316RAM, 800MHz Celeron. Using 56K modem connection. I’ve never used Linux before. I’m trying to install DSL that's supposed to be easy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

56kmodem dial up setup problem

I have a Compaq Presario model 1200US with 316RAM, 800MHz Celeron. Using 56K modem connection. I’ve never used Linux before. I’m trying to install DSL that's supposed to be easy and can’t even do the dial-up setup config. I entered PAP, like was suggested. Then tried clicking “Dialup” and nothing happens. The “ppp dial manager” page has 14OCT date, time, root, pwd, user=root, and a bunch other stuff. It’s all greek to me. I tried entering my isp dial up setting user name. Again, no cigar. I don’t understand what it is they want?

I'm editing because I've just read that Linux distros don't support modems and a bit upset. After reading all the hype about how DSL, Feather, and various other short distros are perfect for older computers, which all use modems (as if no one ever knew), and not once did I read that Linux doesn't support modems, as if no one at Linux knew that. Until now, I read a post that says Linux doesn't support modems. All the Home page hype says that it's fast because it fits in Ram, no need installation in hard drive, the requirements, and on and on but no where in all this hype does anyone ever say that Linux doesn't support modems. Now, that post by Juan Pablo 06-28-2007, I just read, says I'm supposed to download ScanModem, and on and on and on. My schedule doesn't allow me to sit in front of the computer all day downloading programs and programming my computer. This kind of deception that gives one the impression that all one has to do is put the CD in the drive and viola. it's ready for use, is false. It makes me upset for having wasted time downloading on my 56k modem, and burning on CD, and now makes me skeptical about Linux. It's not a good promotion practice for Linux. Every home page for every distro should list the exact requirements and what that particular Linux distro supports or not, without having to download and then reprogam a whole bunch of things that the typical Joe like me doesn't know anything about. I was hoping to get away from Bill Gates, but I guess I'll have to wait another year or so until Linux really has a short distro that will do everything, including running on a modem, without additional downloads just to get it booted and running.
    Last edited by jim simon; 10-14-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: just read revealing info

Is this 56 modem a winmodem, meaning it doesn't have a brain?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Is this 56 modem a winmodem, meaning it doesn't have a brain?

How do I determine if it's a win modem? It came with the computer when I bought it.

I can't imagine anyone with any real Linux knowledge making the asinine remark that "Linux doesn't support modems." That's just plain stupid. Perhaps you misread it and it might have said "Linux doesn't support WINmodems" which is mostly true. Just about every external serial modem works with Linux. REAL pci modems do too... a modem that doesn't require the Windows operating system yo work.

If you are having hardware problems, and most of us do, remember, it is not Linux's fault, but rather the fault of the many hardware vendors who refuse to release Linux drivers. So we are left with no choice but to create our own or figure out other ways to get things working.

If you want to know if you have a real modem or a Winmodem, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    lspci
    and press enter. Find the line about your modem, copy it down and post it here please. By the way, you very much need to read the linked article in my signature.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 10-14-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

To Dapper Dan:

Sorry for being a little late in answering. I didn’t get an e-mail notice. Fortunately I just decided to check the forum.

I’m not sure if this is what you want. I have Windows XP Pro. I followed this path: Start - All Prog. - Accessories - Communications - Hyper Terminal. I entered “1spci” in the window entitled “connection description” and clicked OK. Another window opened entitled “Connect to”. There is a line that says “connect using: softV90 Data Fax Modem”.

Lol! Amazing that I should run into this problem twice on the very same night... AND with the same distro! ... It's lspci not 1spci... An honest mistake. You type that into a terminal... Konsole is a terminal that should be in your menu. The press enter.

Just Joined!

I thought you wanted me to open a terminal in Windows, however, since you mention Konsole, you are obviously talking about DSL.
    Maybe I’m not seeing the menu. I don’t know much about Linux, but does DSL present a menu before doing the dial-up configuration setup? I saw the “Aterminal” icon on the desktop and clicked it and entered “lspci”. It shows PCI 1410 PC card, and many other things. I think this page is what you want me to copy. How do I copy that from DSL and paste on this forum in Windows? I think that’s a pretty hard trick to do, at least for me.

For our purposes, just any terminal will do... xterm, rxvt, aterm, eterm, etc.. The only reason I said konsole is because this was under the Knoppix help section. Knoppix by default uses the KFR Desktop Environment which usually comes with konsole. At any rate, open any terminal and do:
    Code:
    lspci
    Find the line that partains to your modem, just copy it down by hand as you see it, boot to Windows and post it here.

Just Joined!

The only line that mentions modem is this “0000:00:09.0 Communication controller. Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 01)

This was the comment below made by Juan Pablo in his 6/28/2007 post “connecting to the internet with a modem” that had kind of disappointed me.

“Most modems are not supported on Linux, sorry. In my experience this is the only piece of hardware almost impossible to get working on Linux. We can try something.”

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/kno...net-modem.html

Juan Pablo is a very knowledgeable Linux user and knows his stuff. Notice that he said, "Most modems are not supported on Linux, sorry," as opposed to what you said, "Until now, I read a post that says Linux doesn't support modems."

But it's okay, I understand your frustration... really I do. Juan Pablo was right that most modems are not supported, but it goes without saying, not all.

On to the problem at hand:
    The only line that mentions modem is this “0000:00:09.0 Communication controller. Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 01)
    Conexant has steadfastly refused to support the Linux community, but there is an interest that has taken upon itself to support Conexant chip sets in Linux called Linuxant.

Linuxant charges for their drivers which is all well and good as far as I'm concerned because they have to eat too. I have no problem with the way they do business. Having said that, my recommendation is to purchase at a reasonable price, an external serial modem. Most work with Linux and you will realize better speed, reliability and connectivity than with a pci winmodem.

Most here who know me know what I'm going to say, so I'll refer you to this post for my recommedations for an external modem. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 10-20-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast