Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i am a complete noob to linux so i need some major help here please. I have knoppix 3.6 and i just booted about 10 mins ago, so im ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up how do i install a dial up connection?

ok i am a complete noob to linux so i need some major help here please. I have knoppix 3.6 and i just booted about 10 mins ago, so im trying to set up a dial up connection and i dont know where to start. i have absolutely no clue whats going on, and im relatively young so detailes sound great. help is ungodly appreciated.

Knoppix should have in its menu a dialer called kppp. It's pretty straight forward and easy to configure. The problem you are most likely to have is whether you have a hardware device capable of working under Linux.

Some internal PCI modems will work, but the truth is, most won't. They are what we call "Winmodems" because they have to have a Windows operating system to do the work. Most external serial modems will work with Linux, and even some external USB modems will too. We need to find out what your device is. Assuming it is an internal pci device, open a terminal... "konsole" will do and type it:
    Code:
    lspci
    And press enter. It will throw up a lot of information. Find the information about your modem, copy it down and post it here. Then we can go from there.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 10-19-2007 at 01:49 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    ok i went to command prompt and typed 1spci and it just gave me the message that it couldnt run the command just as if i had typed jkehruhgviuh..and while i was there i typed kppp and it brought up the command so i wnet to configure and then i went with the wizard for detecting modems and it only caught my ethernet port i think

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jake10 View Post
    ok i went to command prompt and typed 1spci and it just gave me the message that it couldnt run the command just as if i had typed jkehruhgviuh..and while i was there i typed kppp and it brought up the command so i wnet to configure and then i went with the wizard for detecting modems and it only caught my ethernet port i think
    lol... You might as well have typed in "jkehruhgviuh" because the command I gave you didn't start with a "1" but with an "l."

Just Joined!
    lol wow i feel stupid...yea i did it and it brought up the hardware....the only thing that i found that resembled a modem was a ( CCommunication controller: lucent microelectronics Lt WINMODEM rev 02) so i take it i have a winmodem...crap

Yeah... But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. You now have an opportunity to purchase at a reasonable price an external modem which will give you better connectivity, speed and reliability. I like the Actiontec 92 V serial modem. Another good choice is the BestData. Both are pretty much plug and play in Linux. plug it in, hook it up to your serial port and they just work after configuring kppp.

Just Joined!
    alright man il;l check them out...and thanks a million for your time