Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, i'm new to these forums and new to Linux. Anyways i'm using the embedded Damn Small Linux, and i want to transfer some files from windows. Now the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

smbtree in DSL.

Hi all, i'm new to these forums and new to Linux. Anyways i'm using the embedded Damn Small Linux, and i want to transfer some files from windows. Now the help file says to run smbtree. First of all there is no program called smbtree. So i tried the Aterm, terminal thingy, and there i'm prompted with a password, so I try to type something but nothing is typed. And when i press enter I just come back to the default aterm line . So I figured I should run command--> smbtree. voilâ, my DSL hangs... The mouse moves but nothing happens. Sooo. If anyone could help me a little out i'd be supergrateful

Oh and if anyone has a few pointers on linux vs windows it'd be great, because I don't really have a clue about anything. Partially the reason i'm still running the embedded version (a linuxbox emulator). BTW does linux use .exe files. My senses say no, but I'm asking anyways, (better to ask and sound stupid, than not to ask and stay stupid .
    Thank you in advance.
    -Ari

Just Joined!
    Anyone? I'd really be glad if someone could help me out a bit..

Just Joined!

Found Windows Shar folder

I am now able to see the files in the windows share-folder. But when I type Get [filename] it says NT_Status_Access_Denied ... What can I do about this? Also if I make a folder in smbclient using mkdir and move the files there, i get "Error opening local file [filename]"

Just Joined!
    It's looking a bit lonely in this forum isn't it?

Just Joined!

smbclient issues, and newbie questions.

Hi all, i'm new to these forums and new to Linux. Anyways i'm using the embedded Damn Small Linux, and i want to transfer some files from windows. Now the help file says to run smbtree. First of all there is no program called smbtree. So i tried the Aterm, terminal thingy, and there i'm prompted with a password, so I try to type something but nothing is typed. And when i press enter I just come back to the default aterm line . So I figured I should run command--> smbtree. voilâ, my DSL hangs... The mouse moves but nothing happens. Sooo. If anyone could help me a little out i'd be supergrateful

Oh and if anyone has a few pointers on linux vs windows it'd be great, because I don't really have a clue about anything. Partially the reason i'm still running the embedded version (a linuxbox emulator). BTW does linux use .exe files. My senses say no, but I'm asking anyways, (better to ask and sound stupid, than not to ask and stay stupid .

I am now able to see the files in the windows share-folder. But when I type Get [filename] it says NT_Status_Access_Denied ... What can I do about this? Also if I make a folder in smbclient using mkdir and move the files to that folder from windows, i get "Error opening local file [filename]" if i try to get [file].

Thank you in advance.
    -Ari

Just Joined!
    Hehe, I would agree to that. Sad, I have no place to turn to for help linux. can't see how I could ever switch to linux.. I need some kind of intro for understandind it all. Well well..