Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a novice at using knoppix. I am running it via CD. I have a windows pc that the hard drive has an unmountable boot volume error. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help recovering data using jump drive

Hello,
    I am a novice at using knoppix. I am running it via CD. I have a windows pc that the hard drive has an unmountable boot volume error. I can see the contents of the hard drive using knoppix 4.0 but knoppix does not see my jumpdrive. I need to recover some large files from this hard drive and I have tried using an external usb hard drive, 3 different jump drives but I cannot find them to mount them so that I can move the data. Everything I can find says knoppix should recognize my jumpdrive.

Is there something I can do to manually locate and mount the jumpdrive? I am really confused here? Hoping someone can help.

Thanks
    Jen

Boot with Knoppix to a desktop. Plug in your usb drive. Then open a terminal and type the command: dmesg | tail -20

Post the results of that command here, and someone may be able to help you get it mounted (which means you'll be able to copy files to it using Knoppix).

hardware issues are likely resolved in later versions of knoppix if you can download a newer version (newest 5.1)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Here are the results of dmesg | tail -20

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ dmesg | tail -20
    eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM5751PKFBG) rev 4001 PHY(5750)] (PCIX:100MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:12:3f:c2:e9:5f
    eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[1] MIirq[1] ASF[0] Split[0] WireSpeed[1] TSOcap[1]
    eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000]
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1e.2[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1e.2 to 64
    intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 50230 usecs
    intel8x0: clocking to 48000
    NTFS driver 2.1.22 [Flags: R/W MODULE].
    NTFS-fs error (device sda2): check_mft_mirror(): $MFT and $MFTMirr (record 0) do not match. Run ntfsfix or chkdsk.
    NTFS-fs warning (device sda2): load_system_files(): $MFTMirr does not match $MFT. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run ntfsfix and/or chkdsk.
    NTFS volume version 3.1.
    NTFS-fs warning (device sda2): load_system_files(): Volume has unsupported flags set. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    apm: disabled - APM is not SMP safe.
    mtrr: no more MTRRs available
    NTFS-fs error (device sda2): check_mft_mirror(): $MFT and $MFTMirr (record 0) do not match. Run ntfsfix or chkdsk.
    NTFS-fs warning (device sda2): load_system_files(): $MFTMirr does not match $MFT. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run ntfsfix and/or chkdsk.
    NTFS volume version 3.1.
    NTFS-fs warning (device sda2): load_system_files(): Volume has unsupported flags set. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.

In Knoppix 4.0, the internal Hard Drive Mounts as SDA1 (system files) and SDA2 (other files on C: ). The files I need to recover are on SDA2. I can open and see the files on SDA2, but cannot move them to CD because I am running Knoppix from CD, they are too large for a floppy and my jump drive doesn't show at all.

I have already run chkdsk through windows on this volume and it had corrupt sectors and cannot be repaired with chkdsk.

In Knoppix 5.1.1, the external USB Jumpdrive shows up but it does not recognize the Internal Hard Drive??

So I am hoping that someone out there can help me manually mount the external USB Jump Drive so that I can move the files I need to recover to the Jump Drive. Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jquinn
    Did you run that immediately after plugging in the usb drive?

Just Joined!

How About this?

The previous post I had the jump drive plugged in at boot. This time I plugged the jump drive in after I was in Knoppix, but to my novice eyes, I don't see any thing related to the jump drive? Also, as a side note, I have not been able to get Knoppix 4.0 to recognize any external drives, I also tried an external HD and an external DVD.

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM5751PKFBG) rev 4001 PHY(5750)] (PCIX:100MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:12:3f:c2:e9:5f
    eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[1] MIirq[1] ASF[0] Split[0] WireSpeed[1] TSOcap[1]
    eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000]
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1e.2[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1e.2 to 64
    intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 50230 usecs
    intel8x0: clocking to 48000
    NTFS driver 2.1.22 [Flags: R/W MODULE].
    NTFS volume version 3.1.
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    apm: disabled - APM is not SMP safe.
    mtrr: no more MTRRs available
    NTFS volume version 3.1.