Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm experiencing a great deal of trouble trying to update my Java version. I have a version of Knoppix with Java 1.4.2_05 (out of the box) and I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can't install latest version of Java

I'm experiencing a great deal of trouble trying to update my Java version. I have a version of Knoppix with Java 1.4.2_05 (out of the box) and I need to upgrade to the latest Java. I have been struggling this for some time, and have carried out numerous searches on Google trying to find the solution, with no success at all.

I have downloaded the self-extracting .bin file from the Java site, and this has unpacked normally on my system. I have followed the configuration and setup instructions, using ln -s, with the correct download and install paths for JRE and for my plugins directory for my browser.

Despite all this, my system has not registered the new Java. The version remains at 1.4.2_05. What I would like to do is completely remove this old version of JRE, and install the latest one afresh. How do I do this? The goal is to have the latest Java version up and running on my system.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Just Joined!
    A quick update: I've deleted usr/lib/java which linked to the old version of Java on my system. Now, I am able to play Java games on the internet, which is how I'm testing it. java -version no longer works, so I don't know if it's still the old version working.

Trying my 2 browsers (Mozilla and Firefox) out on Runescape (which requires the very latest Java) I am now experiencing a new problem: the browser shuts itself down before the game-playing screen opens. I no longer get to the stage of seeing a white screen with a note from my browser telling me I'm missing a plugin - the browser just instantly shuts down. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

The dirty way:

* extract the package downloades from java.sun.com, move to (say) /usr/local/java ...
    * locate the old exec java files:

whereis java

normally is /usr/bin/

* then create symbolic links from your new installation:

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/java/your_java_version/bin/* /usr/bin/

* About the browsers, depends how you did the installation of plugins: local or global (all users)... try to locate the file:

sudo find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so

* and replace the files located in firefox plugin directory, using a symbolic link:

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/java/your_java_version/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /path/to/your/browser/dir/of/plugins/

ok... that was the dirty way... of course, there are other clean ways to do the job

EOF
    EOF

Just Joined!
    Thanks ht. Worked!

Just Joined!

Having problems with java

Quote Originally Posted by hugortega View Post
    Hi,

The dirty way:

* extract the package downloades from java.sun.com, move to (say) /usr/local/java ...
    * locate the old exec java files:

whereis java

normally is /usr/bin/

* then create symbolic links from your new installation:

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/java/your_java_version/bin/* /usr/bin/

* About the browsers, depends how you did the installation of plugins: local or global (all users)... try to locate the file:

sudo find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so

* and replace the files located in firefox plugin directory, using a symbolic link:

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/java/your_java_version/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /path/to/your/browser/dir/of/plugins/

ok... that was the dirty way... of course, there are other clean ways to do the job

EOF
    Hey, you seem to be quit ok with java. I have a knoppix version 3.6 and not so sure on how to compile and run java programs.
    This is what i have been doing to no avail:

$ /etc/alternatives/javac myfile.java

I get a report that i have one error.. environmental variable or something.\

Please give me a brief rundown on how to compile, run my codes. Do i need to download the latest java compiler?
    Thanks!