Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 cd version (by the way this took be a very long time due to crappy internet) i then burned it onto a DVD-RW. I booted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation booting issues

Hi,

I downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 cd version (by the way this took be a very long time due to crappy internet) i then burned it onto a DVD-RW. I booted it from the BIOS and it gets about 5-10 secs into it and then it says "can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry, you can now use a (seriously restricted) shell". I then can't really do anything to continue with the boot. I am using a custom built pc barly 3 moths old, consisting of the following parts;

8800GT graphics card
    Writemaster DVD burner
    Asus p5k-e motherboard
    520w power supply
    2gb Ram
    Quad core Q6600

I have checked that the download was sucessfully completed and that the file was sucessfully burned onto disk.

Thank you in advance for any help!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, pompalomp!

Sounds like maybe a bad burn, but you say you've verified that it's good. Have you by chance tested the DVD on another machine to see what happens?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately i do not have another computer to test it on. Could you recommend me another free dvd burning software because i think you may be right about the bad burn!

Nero ( Windows based ) never gave me any problem till now. Select Burn Image to Disk option in its Menu and burn .iso image at lowest possible speed.
    Google for .iso image burner. You will find a lot of free image burning packages.
    Check this thread on how to burn .iso images.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks ill try again and will write a new post with the result

Just Joined!
    I tried using Nero but i still get the exact same message. Do you think that it is wise to download it again? If so, can you post a link?

Is there any reason for installing Knoppix only? I would suggest you to try Ubuntu/Fedora/SuSe or any other distro from Distrowatch.com Top 10 Distros list.

Just Joined!
    I was under the impression that you could only use knoppix as a live cd. As i would prefer to be able to bot it from disc.

That is why i chose knoppix
    Last edited by devils casper; 01-06-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: posts merged

All Major Linux Distros are available as LiveCDs having Install option.
    Fedora, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS and a lot more.

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    I am downloading Ubuntu and am keeping my figers crossed it will work. Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast