Find the answer to your Linux question:
folks, I have downloaded an ISO file of Knoppix and also the VMware software VWware player. Now I dont know how to install Knoppix on my hard drive. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install Knoppix 5.1 on hard drive

folks,

I have downloaded an ISO file of Knoppix and also the VMware software VWware player. Now I dont know how to install Knoppix on my hard drive. I can open the file when I click on the iso file that I downloaded.

Any help will be appreicated

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, naushi!

How to install to the hard drive is a common question about Knoppix. It's not really meant to be installed to the hard drive but it can be done easily enough.

Check this link for details:

Category:Hard drive Installation - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

Don't hesitate to start new threads with any new questions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks for quick reply - As I read they warn against knoppix on hard drive. I have been suggested to use cygwin or fedora if I want to install on ahrd drive. Would you know the site for cygwin or fedora

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    oz

Just Joined!
    Whetehr Knoppix is Live version of Linux, but still you can install on your hard drive easily. Some users of Knoppix has developed the scripts so that Knoppix can be installed on your hard drive. Thanks to "Christian Perle" and "Fabian Franz" who wrote the scriptsfor us and made efforts for Linux community..

Christian Perle was the first volunteer to step forward and write a hard disk installation script for Knoppix. His script, knx-hdinstall, is very simple to use. This fine effort was later reworked by Fabian Franz who wrote knoppix-installer, which has more features (including a "Previous" button which lets you backtrack to previous menus). Both knx-hdinstall and knoppix-installer are now included on the Knoppix CD, so your first decision is to decide which one you'd like to use. I personally prefer the simplicity of knx-hdinstall, though it does lack the convenience of a "back" button.

So without further ado, put the CD into the drive and boot. At the "boot:" prompt, type the parameters you prefer, which in my case (once again) are:

Code:
      boot: knoppix 2 lang=us vga=normal
    and hit <enter>. You will now be at a root console. The application you want to run is knx-hdinstall (which is located in /usr/local/bin, and already in your PATH).

Code:
      root@tty1[/]# knx-hdinstall
    After this step, "cfdisk" is launched which will allow you to partition your hard drive. One thing worth knowing is the knx-hdinstall only allows you to install Knoppix in one partition - the "/" (root) partition, plus you are also able to add a swap partition. For most people this will do fine, but there are people who like to create fancy partitioning schemes (separate partitions for /, /boot, /home, /tmp, /usr, /var, /opt and swap. This has important security implications, and is recommended if you're running a server, but most desktop users will not suffer for having only two partitions. If you really do need so many separate partitions, then you probably shouldn't be running Knoppix.

You should make your root partition at least 3 GB (I personally prefer at least 5 GB). Knoppix will install 1.8 GB of files in that partition, but Linux partitions should never be more than 80&#37; full (to allow space for automatic defragmenting). Besides, your personal data will take up some space, and if you burn CDs you'll need at least 700 MB for a temporary ISO file.

I recommend a swap partition of about 400 MB.

After you've created your root and swap partitions and saved, you are asked if you want to use a swap partition (definitely recommended). You first tell the installer where you want the swap partition to be located, and then you are asked where to mount the root partition. After this you have no more immediate decisions to make - knx-hdinstall begins installing everything on the CD to the hard drive. The installation is about as simple as it gets (almost too simple since you have only a few options available).

Once all the files are copied, you are asked a series of questions. Below are the questions, and the answers I chose:
    Code:
      Do you want to start the mail server (smail) at system boot? <NO>
      Do you want to start the secure shell server (sshd) at system boot? <YES>
      Do you want to start the samba server (smbd/nmbd) at system boot? <NO>
      Do you want to start the cups server (cupsd) at system boot? <YES>
      Do you want to start kdm (graphical login) at system boot? <NO>
      Give a host name for this machine (without domain appended): <sonic>
      Use DHCP broadcast? <NO>
      Please enter IP Address for eth0. <192.168.0.1>
      Please enter netmask for eth0. <255.255.255.0>
      Please enter broadcast address for eth0. <none>
      Please enter Default Gateway. <none>
      Please enter Nameserver(s). <none>
      Set a password for user root (input is not displayed). ********
      Set password for user knoppix. ********
      Do you want to install the boot loader (LILO) into the master boot record (MBR)? <YES>
      Do you want to create a boot floppy (recommended)? <NO>
    First Time Boot
    You can remove the CD now and reboot. If you chose to install LILO in the MBR (master boot record), you should get a menu prompt allowing you to choose between booting "Linux" or (possibly) "Windows". If you had other Linux distros or the *BSDs installed on other partitions, these will not be shown (you'll have to edit /etc/lilo.conf to add additional OSs).

Knoppix boots fast - on my machine it takes 23 seconds (by contrast, SUSE takes 53 seconds). One reason for the fast boot is that few services are loaded by default.

You will have a choice of logging in either as root or user "knoppix" (you did remember the passwords you chose, didn't you?). The safer thing to do is log in as knoppix.

The default window manager is KDE, but there are other options - Window Maker (wmaker), Ice Window Manager (icewm), Fluxbox (fluxbox) and XFce (xfce). Notably absent is Gnome - there is simply no way to fit it on the Knoppix CD. Presumably you'll start with KDE. At your first login, you'll be greeted by "Kpersonalizer", the KDE configuration wizard. The only two important questions you'll be asked come first:
    Code:
      1) "Please choose your country" - if you are an English speaker, it's best to choose "C".

2) "Please choose your language" - I chose "English US".
    The other questions all relate to style and appearance, and I'm happy enough with the defaults. However, despite having chosen English as my preferred language, I still found that in an Xterm I had a German keyboard. To change this, work through these menus:
    Code:
      Settings-Control Center-Regional & Accessibility-Keyboard Layout
    The keyboard that worked for me was:
    Generic 105-key (intl) PC
    U.S. English w/ ISO9995-3

After this, I used KDE's tools to add user "robert" (rather than always being either "root" or user "knoppix"). To do this, open the menu "System" then "Kuser" (KDE's user manager) and type the root password when prompted - you can then add a new user. One thing you must consider is what groups you want this new user to belong to. By way of comparison, user "knoppix" is a privileged character, belonging to all the following groups: audio, cdrom, fax, floppy, games, dialout, dip, sudo, tape, usb, users, video, and voice. I decide to let my new user "robert" belong to the groups cdrom, dialout, dip, sudo and users.

Having done this, I log out and log back in as user "robert". I start Emacs, then create a new hidden file called .xinitrc which contains only one line:

Code:
      exec fluxbox
    I then save and exit Emacs. I log out of KDE and log back in again - now when X starts, I am in Fluxbox, which I prefer to KDE.