Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am new to Linux and this forum. This is my first post. I have a wireless LAN that I use to access the Internet with my PCs, all running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy [SOLVED] Knoppix 5.01 Live CD

I am new to Linux and this forum. This is my first post.

I have a wireless LAN that I use to access the Internet with my PCs, all running Windows XP or Windows Vista. My desktop PC has a Safecom SWLUT - 54125 USB 802.11g wireless adaptor. My Acer Aspire 5610Z laptop has Atheros AR 5005G wireless adaptor.

I booted into Knoppix on my Desktop PC hoping to be able to get on the Internet. The wireless LAN was not detected. I then tried with the laptop. This time the LAN was detected (I entered my WEP key) but I could not download webpages in either Mozilla or Konquerer.

I experiement for a couple of hours without success. However when I tried the next day with my laptop the wireless LAN was not detected. I rebooted and tried a number of times. I am puzzled by this as the operating system is on a non writeable disk and I did not save any settings to any other disk.

I am really looking forward to getting to know Linux and very much hope someone can give me an answer to my problem.

The newest knoppix livecd is 5.1 maybe you mistyped that, but I thought I would clarify if not. I would recommend another livecd like Ubuntu instead since that is a much more recent release you will likely have much better luck getting your wireless to work.

Try Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. It has much better Hardware support and latest packages.

Check distrowatch.com and try LiveCD of any distro listed in Top 10 Distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Live CD

That was a quick reply?

My live Knoppix is version 5.01.

Two days ago I acquired Suse Linux 10.1 live DVD. I tried it on my desktop PC and got the network icon with a red cross on it. This happens with Windows when the WEP is lacking but I could not find where to enter the WEP key.

I then tried the DVD in my laptop. It would not even boot. Just white letters on black background before grinding to a halt. It is so frustrating!

I hope this extra information can help you to help me and many thanks for responding so quickly.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Knoppix then Suse so it may be third time lucky!

both things you have tried are more than a year old, since you have wireless I can assume you have broadband and dont' have to worry much about downloading. I would HIGHLY recommend that you download a newer version of opensuse if thats what you want, but whatever you choose make sure you get the latest version of what you are downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellswood
    I then tried the DVD in my laptop. It would not even boot. Just white letters on black background before grinding to a halt.
    Which Graphics Card do you have?

Just Joined!

Graphics

I'll check on the graphics card on my laptop when I get it out later and let you know.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Which Graphics Card do you have?
    The graphics info is mobile Intel 945 GM Express Chipset Family.

Intel Graphics Card is well supported by all Linux distros. Ubuntu LiveCD will work fine on your lappy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast