Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a CDROM with Knoppix 4.0 and was wondering what the thoughts are of installing it on a second partion on Dell XPS laptop that is running XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Installing Linux on a second partion

I currently have a CDROM with Knoppix 4.0 and was wondering what the thoughts are of installing it on a second partion on Dell XPS laptop that is running XP Pro. I heard through other channels that it is not recommended.

Yes that is my understanding as well. Knoppix is a live CD & not meant to be installed to a hard disk.

Just Joined!
    So if I was considering buying a version Linux to install along side XP, what is recommended?

You don't need to buy ... you can download free. The which distro question gets asked quite a lot ... try this thread with links to help you make a choice.

Most distros will install and setup dual boot with windows without too much trouble. Iv'e got OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, DSL, LinuxMint, Freespire and others to dual boot with windows without much of an issue.

Before you make your final choice try a few live CDs and install one you like the look & feel of.

One last thing ... backup your data before you do the install just incase things don't go to plan.