Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I run Knoppix from the hard drive or just from the burnt cd/dvd what percentage would still be command lines? I think I would like to use Linux or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Knoppix/Command Lines

If I run Knoppix from the hard drive or just from the burnt cd/dvd what percentage would still be command lines?

I think I would like to use Linux or at least get my hands on try it out but I would still much rather use the command lines as I don't want to handicap myself to getting click happy.

I think it's what made a lot of us or a lot of people out there lazy.

Thanks

It can be as much or as little command line as you want. You can actually shutdown X and run completely from thecommand line if you wish. There are a couple of 'cultural' differences between Windows and Linux so it might not do any harm to have a walk around the OS graphically first, figure out the filesystem, device naming etc.

Just Joined!
    do most servers these days come unix or linux installed on them.

I have a guy who bought an hp proliant 350 g5 server, i believe it has xp on it but what he needs is PostgreSQL on it along with some other stuff.

I don't believe I can install it unless I was using Linux, GUI or not.

If I run Knoppix from the hard drive
    No, don't do that! Knoppix is not meant to be run from the hard drive: it is a live cd, and that's it! If you want to install Linux on your hard drive, better go for Ubuntu to start with. When you get real experience, you might want to consider Slackware, which is more command-line than GUI based. However, as bigtomrodney has just said, any Linux distribution will run from the command line. In fact, Unix systems originally didn't have GUI and so it is possible to do absolutely anything with the command line in Linux.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Manchunian that is a very good point you made. I am sorry I even said it since I read that Knoppix is run from a CD/DVD.

I just didn't use my head when I typed that but thats for the point.
    I will keep Ubuntu and Slackware in mind, since I really want to get pretty heavy with Linux.

I think as bigtomrodney said, it might be a good idea for me to take a look graphically to figure out the "filesystem, device naming etc".

I really want to get pretty heavy with Linux.
    Start with something easy-ish (that's why I suggest Ubuntu - or one of its many variations) and then you can go to one of the more 'hard core' distributions.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    will do, thanks for the input guys