Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is with an HP Pavilion a600Y, circa 2004, which has an on-board graphics chipset. It has no separate graphics card -- this is the cheapie set-up for graphics. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question "No suitable X.Server found for your card." -- Ideas?

This is with an HP Pavilion a600Y, circa 2004, which has an on-board graphics chipset. It has no separate graphics card -- this is the cheapie set-up for graphics.

Any ideas on how to get the boot right so this problem is not encountered?

Thank you in advance!

- cb

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If your disc has a safe graphics mode, then I suggest you use that. An alternative would be to pass the xmodule parameter to the kernel at boot time. The drivers you should try with xmodule are vesa and fbdev e.g. at the Knoppix boot prompt enter
    Code:
    xmodule=fbdev
    After that press enter to boot the system.

Just Joined!
    Thank you kindly! The machine in question is remote to me (across the country, in fact), and so I am working with the owners (my folks) over e-mail. Some retired people get busy and get quickly frustrated by cantankerous computers, but eventually I should be able to get this tried out. It would be great to have access to some sort of bazaar of newly ancient computers (2003 onward) just to try Knoppix stuff out on.