Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Hello, I just downloaded Knoppix V5 and copied it on a CD. Now I don't want to install it but play with it to get some understanding about lunix and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems booting with knoppix V5

Hello,
    I just downloaded Knoppix V5 and copied it on a CD. Now I don't want to install it but play with it to get some understanding about lunix and get my hands dirty to learn more about it.
    Now I found out that you can start the laptop going to BIOS and starting from the disk. Now I go to the set up and select "boot from the CD" but nothing happens, it goes directly to the HD. I did it few times to make sure and I made sure to save the changes...
    The laptop I have is HP Pavilion ze4900.

I want to know if someone can give me some data or directions on what to do because here I am stucked?????

thanks

You should ensure you downloaded an ISO image, check the ISO is correct by comparing the checksum against the website, and burn image to disk using the lowest speed you can.
    Make sure you set the boot order in BIOS to boot from CD before boot from hard disk, and also make sure if the BIOS has anti-virus protection this is disabled when you want to boot from the CD.
    This link may help.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much. I think that the problem is with the ISO image. I am going to check the link you gave me. Thanks again.

Glad to help ... make sure to burn image to the disk - if you explore the CD after you burn it and it lists name_of_image_file.iso then you have used the wrong mode to burn the CD and it will not boot. Let us know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your answer. I have another one. As you can see I am completely new to Linux and I am learning.
    I am a bit confused on one thing. You speak about the ISO image. I did the following steps. 1) I downloaded knoppix which is 696 Mo then 2) I downloaded ratpoisson which is apparently an ISO image. I cannot see the picture or how it looks.
    I want to make sure I am now making any mistake. If I understand well, I have to burn the CD with the ISO Image and the knoppix. Correct???????
    If that ISO picture is not correct, where shall I go to get one?
    I also downloaded Burn4free which is to burn the CD. At the top there is File, Edit, Drive.... Under Drive, there is "Burn ISO". Shall I use this or shall I take the files and put it straight in the CD???
    Sorry all those questions, but I want to make sure I am doing the right steps.
    I am really getting interested in Lunix and I am eager to have it to use it.
    Thanks.

Emmanuel

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    OK, You have downloaded Knoppix which is a distro and Ratpoison which is a
    mouseless Window manager. You don't need ratpoison to run Linux.

I don't know if burn4free has an iso option.... hang on I'll go check. Apparently
    it does. You will need to burn your Knoppix image to cd using the "Burn ISO"
    button. Once this is complete, simply reboot and make sure your bios is set up
    to boot from CD.

This is a free Windows powertoy that will allow you to right click on the .iso file and
    burn it correctly.

I just thought I'd add that a distro is the Linux operating system usually with a gui
    in the case of Knoppix the Gui is KDE. A distro also comes with a wide variety of
    software.

Expect a lot of similarities and a lot of differences to Windows. Understand that Linux
    is not Windows and have fun finding your way round. Kmoppix (and these days most other
    distributions) comes a live CD so you can try it out without any risk.

If you decide to install it to your hard disk, it will usually work flawlessly with no data loss,
    but remember to take a backup of your data before you proceed. Having something go
    wrong and losing your data really hurts.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Burn ISO image sounds like the right option to use. For a bit more information on ISO images take a look here and here.

Just Joined!
    Thank you Jonathan,
    After putting the data here, I tried and it worked out. So now I managed to boot with the CD but .....
    So it started and it detected everything I think but at the end, it kind of got frozen, I think. For about 10 minutes nothing else happened. The CD was not running and nothing happening.
    I then went back to Windows and open the CD and everything was showing up including the picture for Linux and lots of more files.
    What shall I do to get started with Linus because it seems like It got frozen, or shall I wait longer?
    Thanks
    Emmanuel

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help. Yes I managed to get it burn on the CD and I kept only Knoppix.
    Now I started the boot of the system with it. It detected all I think but at one point, it got frozen - I think. The CD was not running anymore.... and for about 10 Minutes. So I got out and started windows. I got to the CD and saw that everything was on it which mean the logo of Linux, MSDOS and more stuff.
    So I don't know really what to do to start Linux correctly?????
    Thanks for your help.

Emmanuel

Just Joined!
    I forgot to thank you for the explaination you sent me on the ISO Image. I now understand what it means. I really appreciate your help to make sure I get it.

Emmanuel

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast