Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
what folder do you put html & PHP scripts in to view in konquror..i tried putting them in var/www/ but it said i didnt have permission to save there...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question default HTML/PHP script folder?

what folder do you put html & PHP scripts in to view in konquror..i tried putting them in var/www/ but it said i didnt have permission to save there

Linux Guru
    On systems I have used you need to be 'root' user to put files in /var/www/ and sub-directories.
    You should be able to open an html page anywhere.
    Do you have apache installed/configured?

how do you log into live cd knoppix as root? coz when i open terminal it says user is knoppix ..also how do i activate (turn on) apache? & where does the php/html files (scripts) usually go to view them in your browser ...& what do you type in the browser to view the particular script i.e if i want to view index.php where do i save it & what do i type in browser to view index.php ?

ok nice spam lol

Linux Guru
    If you are using a knoppix live cd, what do you have installed on your hard drive? I'm not really sure what you are trying to do, a more detailed explanation of what you have on your system and what you are trying to do would probably get you more help. What distro on your hard drive? The are different installers so different methods to install apache/php etc.
    Logging in to knoppix as root: Root - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

i dont want to install it to my HD..thats why i use live cd..what folder do html/php files go in to view them on your browser..& what do you type in your browser to view that file..

Linux Guru
    i dont want to install it to my HD.

HTML Code:
    That's good because Knoppix was meant as a Live CD and not to be installed on hard drive, although it can be.
    A Live CD is read-only. You can't save/write files to it. Still have no idea what you are trying to do or if you have a system on your hard drive you can access??

What you would type in your browser to see "myfile.html" would be (http://localhost/myfile.html) Of course, before you could do this you would have to have a web server (apache) installed and configured and if you want to view php files php installed and configured. You would then create your files and put them in the "/var/www/htdocs" directory. You don't need "html" files there, you can open them anywhere by just clicking on them.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    i dont want to install it to my HD.

HTML Code:
    That's good because Knoppix was meant as a Live CD and not to be installed on hard drive, although it can be.
    A Live CD is read-only. You can't save/write files to it. Still have no idea what you are trying to do or if you have a system on your hard drive you can access??

What you would type in your browser to see "myfile.html" would be (http://localhost/myfile.html) Of course, before you could do this you would have to have a web server (apache) installed and configured and if you want to view php files php installed and configured. You would then create your files and put them in the "/var/www/htdocs" directory. You don't need "html" files there, you can open them anywhere by just clicking on them.
    ya but like w/ SLAX server edition you can save php files to /var/www/htdocs & view them in konq & thats a live cd i thought..& also there isnt htdocs under /var/www in knoppix (@least none i could see)..

Linux Guru
    If you used Slax "SERVER" edition it had a web server (apache) and if you don't see an "htdocs" directory in /var/www/ on Knoppix it is because there is no server.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If you used Slax "SERVER" edition it had a web server (apache) and if you don't see an "htdocs" directory in /var/www/ on Knoppix it is because there is no server.
    so i need to turn on apache to see htdocs dir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast