Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently bought a Knoppix live CD to fix windows XP because of a corrupt registry. The problem is that I'm new to knoppix. Could someone show me step by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Knoppix to fix Windows XP?

I recently bought a Knoppix live CD to fix windows XP because of a corrupt registry. The problem is that I'm new to knoppix. Could someone show me step by step on how to fix it? Thanks.

I doubt you will have the tools to fix a corrupt registry simply because the registry technology is pretty secretive and Microsoft owned. However you will be able to use Knoppix to recover undamaged files rather than fixing Windows directly. Would that be useful to you?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, thats good, thanks. I do have the Windows Recovery Console on floppy disks, but it doesnt help. Can I use Knoppix to at least get Windows to start up?

Just Joined!
    Many people would to use Knoppix to copy their personal files (Knoppix will boot to a usable desktop without affecting your HDD) and settings to a USB stick, then wipe the HDD and reinstall Windows.

Just Joined!
    Yea
    Just reformat and do a complete reinstall Windows XP. Install drivers for internet, printer and download service pk 2.

Repairing Windows, well..., may not work. IMHO, it's a waste of time. my 0.02

Also check your HDD too. If it's 6 or more years get a new one. HaHa!!

I hope you backed up any important info, data and notes.
    GL

try here to get info
    cd /media/hda2<or number>/Documents\ and\ Settings/<your accnt>/My\ Documents/

/* < > above is for your settings */

hth