Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everybody Recently I downloaded a live cd of knoppix, and I tried to run it, but with my AGP graphics card it fails to load / boot, but when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

live cd not working with AGP graphics card

hi everybody

Recently I downloaded a live cd of knoppix, and I tried to run it, but with my AGP graphics card it fails to load / boot, but when I remove the graphics card and run with the VGA display, it runs without any problem, I need some explanation here.. why is it like this? is it a bug or is there any problem with my system.

sysm config:
    pentium 4, 1.8 GHz.
    1 GB of primary memory (RAM)
    nVidia 6200 external AGP graphics card, which is plugged onto the agp slot of my 845 chipset.

any help is appreciated.. thank you all.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

It should run fine with that card. You could try using some of the cheat codes to get it boot properly with the nvidia card in place:

Cheat Codes - Knoppix Documentation Wiki

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knopp...cheatcodes.txt

I'd look especially close at all those options dealing with a graphical display since it's fairly obvious that it's a graphics issue.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

^^^
    I tried every possible cheat options while booting, the failsafe, acpi=off, pnpbios=off, but it stuck every time and shows up one line

starting udev hot-plug hardware detection...

and I didn't observe any further booting process after this, but it stays like that forever. Somewhere in internet they have suggested for "nohotplug" cheat
    ref (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/kno...-hot-plug.html)
    even that didn't worked for me. so do you have any other idea why?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Knoppix is not configuring your Graphics Card correctly. Have you tried LiveCD of any other distro?
    Boot up from CD again and pless ATL+Ctrl+F1 after a few mins.
    Does it switch to command line mode?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

What edition of Knoppix are you running? I had an nvidia 6200 for a long time and never had any trouble, it is a quite linux friendly chip. Also occasionally strange graphics or hardware quirks can be remedied by updating the BIOS on your motherboard.

@devils..
    Just now I came to know that, none of the live cd distro is working properly on my comp, also it hangs so badly that no more input from keyboard will be taken, only option left is hardware reset.

@bigtomrodney..
    I downloaded the version 5.13 CD, but can you please explain more on updating the BIOS, how? where? please..

@devils casper

The problem is resolved finally, I updated my bios, now its loading up properly, also my usb extension cable is working with vista after the bios update, thanks a million for the priceless suggestion bro'.
    thanks again

I am glad to hep you shhash ! I would suggest you to use Knoppix as LiveCD only. If you want to install Linux then install Ubuntu or Fedora.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First