Find the answer to your Linux question:
heya, i'm brand new to knoppix (about 2 hours new XD) i have knopix installed on my laptop, now how do i change the boot sequence so that cd boots ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to boot from disk?

heya, i'm brand new to knoppix (about 2 hours new XD)

i have knopix installed on my laptop, now how do i change the boot sequence so that cd boots first? (i have a knoppix disk, a program, which needs to be booted from disk, but i cant figure out how to do it)

also if you could list it in a step by step, or picture guide that'd be great

its knopix 5.1 in case you need to know

thanks!

Hi, TrueDoom! Welcome to LinuxForums!

First thing you need to do is get into your BIOS during boot-up and change the order in which your PC looks for boot media. You should be able to get there by pressing F2 or F10 during start-up.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    hey....am i dont think it will work like that for me unfortunatley.

see i'm running knoppix on a pendrive (e.g its not an installed os, its just running off pendrive, in a new window, through windows xp.) as shown here (Run Knoppix from a USB device without rebooting | USB Pen Drive Linux)

but heres how it works, i have xp up and running, and on my usb drive, there is knoppix, with the added software that lets me boot koppix in a window. heres a screen shot:

first screen:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/283...tscreendt6.jpg

Screen when f2 or is pressed:

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/3...3screenrm8.jpg

screen after full boot up:

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4...pixdeskwt9.jpg

also what i'm tryin to achieve, to boot from a knoppix boot disk, which i can open fine on the knoppix window, and view the files on the disk, but i need to boot from it to use it.

sorry if i'm not explaining myself well, i'm really new to this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Okay... I think I know what you're getting at. I've not actually tried it like that before, but you should be able to mount the cd-rom from within qemu to access the Knoppix CD. This link may be of some help.

I hope I'm understanding what you're after.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    hmm, but even mounting it, i wouldn't be able to use the disk, as the only way to work it is that it has to be booted from startup, rather than played like a mounted disk. I just need to know how to boot from disk at startup. As you have mentioned, f8 or f10, that would be normal if it was installed (and in which case i wouldn't be hear asking the knowledgeable people)

is there any command line i could type that would let me boot the cd?

Just Joined!

Post агентство знакомств "изида"

Агентство знакомств "Изида"
    приглашает к сотрудничеству и размещению ваших данных в нашей базе.
    К вашим услугам обширная база наших состоятельных клиентов, состоящая из российских и зарубежных граждан.
    Наш сайт: h t t p : \ \ i z i d a . s u
    почта: a n k e t a @ i z i d a . s u
    телефон: 8 909 918 15 44 , 8 901 567 94 54

Ya know, the only thing I can think of that might accomplish what you're going for is opening a second instance of qemu. And to be honest, I don't even know if you can do that

Sorry, man... I'm at a loss here. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything else.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    hmm its cool, dont worry about it

guess i'll just have to dual os on the pc
    thanks for all your help