Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have the Games Knoppix live CD and I was just wondering if you could actually install it on a free partition. Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Possible to install knoppix?

I have the Games Knoppix live CD and I was just wondering if you could actually install it on a free partition. Thanks

Hi,

It's not a good idea to install Koppix. It's only meant to be a live CD and can break during updates. If you want to keep Linux, install something like Ubuntu instead.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

I agree with Manchunian ! You should not install Knoppix. Go for ant other distro that is meant for Harddisk install.
    Check out this poll on Fav Linux Distro.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, I have several Ubuntu CDs and I tried to install that and after it finishes it said something crc error or something like that, I also tried FC6 and everytime I would try to install it, it would freeze when I have to swich to disk 2 for some reason.

Post your machine's specs here.

Alright,
    1024 RAM (-128mb for the shared graphics)
    128mb graphics (obviously)
    Intel Pentium IIII running at ~2.4ghz

The motherboard is an Asus P4S8X-MX

Does Ubuntu CD boot up fine on your machine?
    I tried to install that and after it finishes it said something crc error or something like that
    Could you post exact error message here?

Cool KNOPPIX installs just fine if that is what you want

I installed knoppix 5.3.1 DVD on a 20 gig partition on my laptop and it worked great with a 3 gig swap partition

from root
    # sudo knoppix-installer

Follow propts - the Installer will allow you to resize the windows partition and set it as active, grub is install and allows knoppix or windows to boot as a dual boot machine. It is what knoppix is, a fully configured platform that has a lot of the software preinstalled. If that is the type of system you want it works great... otherwise I would follow the advise of the other in here and go with a platform designed for installation.

I however like my knoppix box, a dell E1505, and it had eveything I needed for that box from the start

it worked great with a 3 gig swap partition
    3GB SWAP partition is just a space wastage. 1GB SWAP partition is more that enough under any circumstances and it doesn't matter how much RAM one has.

Anyone who installs Knoppix must know what they are potentially getting themselves into:

Knoppix is designed & intended to be used as a GNU/Linux LiveCD and not a HD installed Linux distro. A HD installed Knoppix will give you a running GNU/Linux system but it is not easy to support or administrate and add/remove of software is complicated and is best left to GNU/Linux experts...If you are a new user and not a GNU/Linux expert & want a HD installed system then skip the LiveCDs and go directly to a distro designed to be installed to a HD
    This comes from the Knopix site, Hd Install HowTo - Knoppix Documentation Wiki.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast