Find the answer to your Linux question:
1. I'm stuck in XFCE desktop. I found some XFCE menu items under: Lost and Found and gave them a try. Now I'm in that desktop and can't get out... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 5.3.1 Questions

1. I'm stuck in XFCE desktop. I found some XFCE menu items under: Lost and Found and gave them a try. Now I'm in that desktop and can't get out... How does one change over to Gnome or back to the default KDE?????

2. I went and bought some new components one of which is the new Nivida G Force 8500 graphics board. Can't find any drivers for it for any Linux and the only one I've found that it works with is Sabayan. Ubuntu 8.04, SUSE 10.3, Debian Etch all have big problems with this new Nivida... All because my new MB didn't have an AGP slot so I had to shop for something with the PCI Direct connector. Anybody know the status of Linux in general regarding this graphics board????

3. Last, I made the "persistent" image but upon the first shutdown nothing was saved. I have not found instructions or a menu item with which to set this feature up. Now i have lots to lose and hoping for an answer.

tks

Linux Guru
    when you say graphics board do you mean it is on your motherboard, or are you referring to a graphics card? I'm just a little confused by the terminology. If it's a seperate graphics card it is definitely supported. I have an 8600 myself and have used several geforce cards under Linux.

You can usually change your session at the login screen. If there's not a sessions menu you can try pressing F10 to get the option.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    when you say graphics board do you mean it is on your motherboard, or are you referring to a graphics card? I'm just a little confused by the terminology. If it's a seperate graphics card it is definitely supported. I have an 8600 myself and have used several geforce cards under Linux.

You can usually change your session at the login screen. If there's not a sessions menu you can try pressing F10 to get the option.
    Sorry. I do mean "card". I just thought that perhaps my new CPU might be involved. It is the new AMD Phenom quad core. I recall now that while watching Knoppix boot up I saw perfect recognition of my graphics card. Those other OS's reported "unknown" in the same place. I then selected "3D under Compris but nothing was implemented when I tried it.

I does seem strange that one can change to "XFCE" after boot but out of only with a new boot.

I am searching for a good manual or book to refer to.

South Ireland is Sunny? Is it green like the rest?

Here in Eastern San Diego County in the high desert it's dry and hot. Fortunately I have a good well on my place with sweet water. That and some cold beer helps with the weather.

tks,

Jpnc

Sessions menu? OK I'll check that out.

I'm a typical Gemini by racing into things without proper preparation I admit but this is so interesting as compared to M$ Windows.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jpncsimmons View Post
    It is the new AMD Phenom quad core.
    I do remember there was some problems with these after launch but I believe this is fixed in very recent distros.
    I does seem strange that one can change to "XFCE" after boot but out of only with a new boot.
    I haven't used Knoppix for a couple of years, I hope the session/F10 menu is there.
    South Ireland is Sunny? Is it green like the rest?
    Haha, that's a very relevant term. It's sunny compared to a lot of the country. I leave rain in Dublin and often arrive home to the sun splitting the stones. But yeah it's as green as you like. We grow all the strawberries here
    Here in Eastern San Diego County in the high desert it's dry and hot. Fortunately I have a good well on my place with sweet water. That and some cold beer helps with the weather.
    Beer. The cause of and solution to most of life's problems [/quote]I'm a typical Gemini by racing into things without proper preparation I admit but this is so interesting as compared to M$ Windows.[/QUOTE]Well there is a learning curve, and it can be steep enough but I found that it was definitely worth the initial effort. 100% Linux in my house for several years now. Thankfully once a problem is solved it tends not to even exist by the next release. Things move quickly in the Linux world!