Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I get the error "Cannot remove 'image00627.jpg':Read only file system" You should be able to right-click the icon on your desktop that represents Windows. Some of the options are going ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I get the error "Cannot remove 'image00627.jpg':Read only file system"
    You should be able to right-click the icon on your desktop that represents Windows. Some of the options are going to be along the lines of "Change permissions" or something to that effest. It might even be "Change Read/Write mode". When you find the right one, you'll have a pop-up dialog box that will ask you to confirm making the the partition writable.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Jay,
    I tried again, but can't seem to get the correct syntax to drill down to the file I want to delete. I can go to the file using gui, but when I try to type in the path in the command prompt, I must be doing it wrong, because it keeps giving me an error message that the path is not found. The issue seems to be how to type in "documents and settings" and other multiple work folder names in a syntax that Knoppix recognizes.........Can you help with that?

Since you can navigate to the file in the GUI, are you able to remove it from there? Or does it throw the 'Permissions' error?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Jay,
    I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply, this has been a very busy month.

I mount the drive, then change permissions on the drive to Read-Write for everyone, navigate to the file I want to delete & check permissions & it only has Read. So I change the permissions on that file also, then when I try to delete it, I get the permissions error again.

Maybe these will help:
    First...

Then...

After that, navigate to your files/folders...

If you get an error message about permissions while in the File Manager, open a terminal and execute
    Code:
    sudo rm <file_name>
    It may take you a while, but just take note of the path listed in the Location bar of Konqueror to move along to the correct path in terminal.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Jay,
    I don't get the second screen that you showed. It never asks that question.

What I did to get that is (in my example of /dev/hda7):

First, Mount drive
    Change privileges as shown in shot#1...
    Right-click on icon for /dev/hda7, select Change Read/Write Mode
    You will get Shot#2
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    df -h
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Jay,
    I don't get the second screen, the comfirmation of permission change when I try to change the permission. When I click the OK button on the first screen, that is all that happens, nothing else appears, and the permissions are not changed on the files.

Odd... but not a major problem. Did you select Change Read/Write Mode after right-clicking the desktop icon?
    Let's try it from a terminal. Open a terminal, execute
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    This should make the Windows directory and mount it. See if you can do anything then.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2