Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a file located c:\documents and settings\jerry\local settings\temporary internet files\content.outlook\CBVPSK45\image00627.jpg that I want deleted. In WinXP explorer I can only go as far as the folder Temporary Internet Files, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I delete hidden files on NTFS drive

I have a file located c:\documents and settings\jerry\local settings\temporary internet files\content.outlook\CBVPSK45\image00627.jpg that I want deleted. In WinXP explorer I can only go as far as the folder Temporary Internet Files, it does not show the child-folder or anything below it.

In Knoppix I can see the full path to the file but cannot delete it. When I try to delete it I just get an error window that lists the path and file and says that it can't be deleted, if I try to change file permissions from Read only to Read & Write I get another error message that says that I can't change the permissions.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this file?

Welcome to the forums!

Since it's on an NTFS drive, knoppix may not be able to delete this file. First try to delete it as the root user. If that doesn't work, you'll have to try to enable ntfs write access on knoppix, or use a liveCD with that ability.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Hello and Welcome!

If it's a LiveCD of Knoppix, then you'll have to change the write permissions, as suggested by smolloy, and then use the sudo command to delete the files.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Please explain in detail

I am totally new to Knoppix. How do I enable write access? What is a "LiveCD"? I'm booting from a CD is that a LiveCD? What is the SUDO command? How is it used?

When booting up with Knoppix, you should see all of your partitions on the desktop. Right-click on the ones you need to work with, you'll get a menu that will allow you to mount them and change permissions. Then, open a terminal, and start removing the files:
    Code:
    sudo rm <filename>
    sudo gives you temporary root permissions.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    When booting up with Knoppix, you should see all of your partitions on the desktop. Right-click on the ones you need to work with, you'll get a menu that will allow you to mount them and change permissions. Then, open a terminal, and start removing the files:
    Code:
    sudo rm <filename>
    sudo gives you temporary root permissions.
    Jay,
    I booted with knoppix, right clicked on the correct drive & changed permissions (I think--it showed that I had "read-write" permission. However when I opened the command prompt, I don't know how to change to the drive I want to modify, and I also don't know how to log on to root---if it requires a password I don't have it. I tied dragging and dropping the file in the trash after changing permissions on the whole drive, but again I get the error message that I cannot delete that file.

Sorry for the delay here. Using Knoppix to remove Windows files is both easy and tricky at the same time. Here's what you do though. After changing permissions (as you have done), you are going to have to actually hunt down the path name to the program/file that you want gone. And you'll have to use sudo for it (good news... Knoppix doesn't have a root password!) So then, for an example...
    Code:
    sudo rm /mnt/hdx/C:\My_Documents\<my_file
    Sorry... been a while since I looked at a Windows file system!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Sorry for the delay here. Using Knoppix to remove Windows files is both easy and tricky at the same time. Here's what you do though. After changing permissions (as you have done), you are going to have to actually hunt down the path name to the program/file that you want gone. And you'll have to use sudo for it (good news... Knoppix doesn't have a root password!) So then, for an example...
    Code:
    sudo rm /mnt/hdx/C:\My_Documents\<my_file
    Sorry... been a while since I looked at a Windows file system!
    Hi Jay,
    I tried again to delete this file, but again no success. When I type in the command sudo rm /mnt/sda2/c:\documents_and_settings\jerry\local_settings\tem porary_internet_files\content.outlook\cbvpsk45\ima ge000627
    I get a couple of lines of text saying that it can't find the file or folder and it shows the path that I typed EXCEPT it removes the last back-slash "\" so the path ends up c:\documents_and_settings\jerry\local_settings\tem porary_internet_files\content.outlook\cbvpsk45imag e000627
    I tried changing the command to only go to the folder cbvpsk45 to delete the entire folder, but again I get that same error showing it can't find folder "content.outlooksbvpsk45" again leaving out the last back-slash.
    What am I doing wrong?

Here's what I would try. When you get your Knoppix desktop going, mount the Windows drive, then change permissions (make it writable). Open a terminal, and go one step at a time...
    1) cd /mnt
    2) Do an ls -a to double check everything
    3) cd/mnt/hdx (x being Windows)
    4) Repeat step 2
    5) Keep going until you get to the directory in question...

When you get to the proper directory, do one more ls -a to make sure you have the right filename that you're looking for.
    Code:
    sudo rm <filename>
    A little time consuming, but if nothing else is working for you, this may be the solution.

By the way, remember that with Linux you can use the <TAB> button in the middle of typing a command or filename for an auto-complete function. Helps avoid typos
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Hi Jay,
    I followed the instructions above, it took some time to get the syntax correct, but your instructions helped. However when I finally drilled down to the correct folder and tried to delete the file, I get the error "Cannot remove 'image00627.jpg':Read only file system". I tried to rename the file, but I don't know Knoppix command to do that, I also tried to delete *.* in that folder and that time I got a line for every file that said the same thing as the one I quoted above except for the actual file name. HELP???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast