Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings. My knoppix 5.01 booted up from the CD spectacularly well on my HP D325 Athlon. I was astonished because various other linuxes refused to get beyond the first few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot copy from NTFS to FAT32 USB drive

Greetings. My knoppix 5.01 booted up from the CD spectacularly well on my HP D325 Athlon. I was astonished because various other linuxes refused to get beyond the first few lines, a kernel problem. I was doubly surprised since this machine is supposed to boot linux, or I think a RedHat and Suse versions from probably 6 years ago or so?

I would like to copy the 10 GB's of Windows XP SP2 using NTFS to a 16 GB USB Sandisk drive. And it's been very difficult all around. My ignorance astounds me. I find that the USB drive really cannot handle more than 4 GB files so that leaves out a backup program. And there are no free clone programs that handle USB flash drives. And my Maxtor utilities won't recognize the USB and on and on. And my Western Digitial clone utilities won't recognize the Maxtor unless I add another drive and then that might work, but probably not with the USB.

So I set all the permissions on the USB to write and what not. But I cannot even create a directory.

I feel so stupid. I used to do a little linux and unix so I am a bit familiar with the console but that was about 10 years ago when I stopped.

I am always missing a driver. Right now I have a Linksys wireless USB adapter, Linksys WUSB54GC, which works well with Windows XP but I guess I will try to find linux drivers for it. It would help to be online when asking linux questions.

So my question is:

How do I copy the Windows XP directories from a NTFS hard drive to a FAT32 Sandisk USB flash drive?

I can read the files in both but cannot write. And everything is set to Executable and write permissions and whatever else I can turn on, excepting the Special Sticky stuff.

I see them both in Knoppix, hda, and sba, but I am not able to do anything.

I went to console. su. and tried to do a md but I am not familiar with this shell. And man for make directory did not work well. When I tried to create a directory, I get an error message than it cannot be created, using the Create command in the graphical interface.

So I am coming to this forum since I cannot do the most simple of things. And I am not sure where to find the information for this stuff.

It's too bad there is not a multi-layered HTML hierarchy FAQ so one can find one's level and go from there. Or is there?

It's funny, years ago, I can recall having this same kind of problem. Except then it was a tape mount problem. The information is a little easier now but it's still difficult and I wonder why.

Thanks,
    Adam

Just Joined!

did i say something wrong?

I wrote a long rambling question about XP NTFS hda transferring files to a USB 16 GB key with FAT32.

Not a single reply. I'm crushed, just crushed, like a poor turkey before Thanksgiving.

I can't figure out what I'm doing incorrectly. I used to copy files in linux and unix, so theoretically I once did something correctly.

Maybe I need to remember the shell I used to use? Was it cshrc or something like that? Have to find my unix notes.

Just Joined!

Cannot Copy

I cannot do a Copy from an XP hard drive, hda, to a USB flash drive, sda.

I turned on all permissions and executions.

The XP drive is NTFS. The USB is FAT32. I tried to make it NTFS under XP but it won't format as such. Need to upgrade to XP SP3 then?

One error is cannot find the file.

I am running from a Live CD. Is there some switch somewheres not allowing a Write?

The graphical and the command lines show the drives with Mount and Fdisk so the drives are recognized.

Used Knoppix 5.01. Just trying to backup the hard drive onto the USB flash key which is 16gb from Sandisk. That might be another problem, too big a USB flash key?

Just Joined!

Exclamation when in doubt, talk to oneself

Probably Thanksgiving weekend is a tough time to get free advice about Knoppix linux.

Now I once did this. In fact, I remember using Knoppix linux to bring a Windows system back from the dead. And it was one of the first Live-CD's I used back then. Probably did this on Windows 98se.

The 16GB key is probably also a factor. Should not be for linux. I ran MaxBlast and it recognized all the drives under XP but the 16GB USB key, which is interesting in an unpleasant way - since I got the 16GB to make back-ups in the first place, clone a little drive.

I'll probably buy a USB drive and in this particular case, just put another drive in the case and clone, a poor man's RAID system, kind of, barely.

Well, alter ego, what do you think?

And there really is no linux HTML WWW bible out there in Google land? Say it ain't so.

Hi Adam welcome to the forums

Does clonezilla do what you need?

What does
    Code:
    mount
    and
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    report? What commands are you using to copy the information?

Just Joined!
    On the knoppix desktop
    Left click the icon on the desktop labeled hda1 or hda2 (where windows is).
    This will auto mount it. A green arrow will be added to the icon.
    Or right button hold mouse and scroll down where is reads 'mount'.

then
    right button hold mouse and scroll down where is reads 'change read/write mode' and check yes on the dialog.

This will give you access to the windows file.

If you need added permissions use the cli and use chmod 777 on the file to have total access.
    peruse into chmod man pages for improved codes.
    Then change it back to a secure number when your through.

BTW, look very thoroughly at the dd command. And be careful.
    hth & gl

Just Joined!

Read-only file system

I tried the suggestions. Even on the same device, hda or hda1, if I CP a file to another name, I get the error message, Read-only file system.

The permissions and all seem to say read write and execute when I look at them. hda is an NTFS Windows XP hard drive. That should not matter?

The Knoppix Live-CD was created with a 98se or FAT32 or some such FAT system.

When I used Knoppix in the past, it was with 98se. Don't remember if I used it with Windows 2000 but if I did, they were all FAT file systems, not NTFS.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlinux View Post
    I tried the suggestions. Even on the same device, hda or hda1, if I CP a file to another name, I get the error message, Read-only file system.

The permissions and all seem to say read write and execute when I look at them. hda is an NTFS Windows XP hard drive. That should not matter?

The Knoppix Live-CD was created with a 98se or FAT32 or some such FAT system.

When I used Knoppix in the past, it was with 98se. Don't remember if I used it with Windows 2000 but if I did, they were all FAT file systems, not NTFS.
    I was in the same boat - followed the actions in the post above yours (right-click drive, actions, change read/write mode) and voila!

Apparently trying to use properties to change permissions still doesn't enable writing on the drive.