Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new here and to knoppix.I have a USB stick but not a hard drive.I have used DSL (Damn Small Linux)to test the PC, now I use knoppix.I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talking I have a lot of questions!

I am new here and to knoppix.I have a USB stick but not a hard drive.I have used DSL (Damn Small Linux)to test the PC, now I use knoppix.I have a DELL LATITUDE C610 i686.I used Konqueror ,it crashed a lot of times(not really,just closed by its own)now I use IceWeasel.Now to the questions!!!
    Q1:Why does it say:KDE 3.5, oh well answer it with A1(you dont really have to answer this one)!So why, just to know!?!?
    Q2:Can I get KDE 4.1 or 4.0(4.1 more!)for knoppix (dont know how to explicate)?
    Q3:Why does Konqueror crash(more info up there)?
    Q4:What is the root password in knoppix 5.1(cant figure it out)?
    Thats it till now! Woohoo! I can after all get help!
    Last edited by alexdnk; 11-30-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: I had to write ''for'' instead of ''and'' in question 2.

For Q4, if your in a terminal type
    Code:
    sudo su
    sudo -s can sometimes ask for a password when there is actually no password set so use sudo su.

Also, Knoppix doesnt come with a pre-set root password. You would have had to set one up manually. If you have and you've forgotten it, try here:
    How to Reset forgotten Root passwords LG #107

Q2: I cant offer much help here, but if your up for a challenge. This MIGHT work no guarantee's at all. It just builds but it is VERY challenging. 5 minute setup to build KDE 4, using kdesvn-build. - Knoppix.net

As for Q1 and 3. You'l have to ask somewhere else as i dont use Konqueror or KDE.

Do I take it you've actually installed Knoppix on your harddrive? If so, you should know that this is not advisable. Although Knoppix can be installed, it is not supposed to be run as a primary OS but as a live CD only.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Knoppix makes a great temporary OS for running from a liveCD, or for using in various emergency situations, but if you are wanting a version of Linux to run long term from the hard drive, I'd suggest using something else because you will eventually run into problems running Knoppix from the hard drive.

For the USB drive you refer to, check out PenDriveLinux.com for lots of options that might work for you. I think it is possible to add KDE4.x to a USB version of Knoppix, but it might be problematic unless you can find some Knoppix specific packages for doing this, and don't forget that KDE4 is still very buggy, incomplete, and unstable (according to my own experience with it).
    oz

don't forget that KDE4 is still very buggy, incomplete, and unstable (according to my own experience with it).
    ...and, let's add, very, very slow!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

I am up for a challenge,so I will try to put KDE 4.0 or 4.1 so I would like KDE 4.2 Beta on it,for a test.I am sorry,but knoppix is my main OS,from a CD.I would like to
    put Ubuntu or something as a live CD,or really install it on a USB.The question is,
    How to install ubuntu on a USB?
    Don't worry,I know I can use ubuntu from CD as a live CD with a normal ubuntu iso
    image.Need help with wine tools, though.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdnk View Post
    The question is, How to install ubuntu on a USB?
    I'm pretty sure there are instructions for doing that at the link I posted for you above. Maybe someone else can provide additional instructions, if needed.

Hope you have fun with it.
    oz

Got it,just have to recover the data I had on it and I will definitely do it!!
    I have understanded it, now using ubuntu.Find me on the ubuntu forum from now on! I will come back here as long as I have to live with that dell which crashes on ubuntu,need a better ram and virtual memory card, knoppix is fine though...