Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Damn Small is a good tool for system recovery. Knoppix would be better just because of some extra feature like better NTFS support, but we might be able to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Damn Small is a good tool for system recovery. Knoppix would be better just because of some extra feature like better NTFS support, but we might be able to get you going here. In the terminal execute
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    See if you can access anything after that.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    sorry for not replying for a while. Had to go out of town for a couple days. OK so I tried those two lines in ATerm and nothing happened after the first... just got a new command prompt line. The second line came up with

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many mounted file systems

hope you are all having a great weekend.

Silly me... Right after mentioning Windows support, I think I gave the wrong FS type!
    Instead, try...
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
    sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    After the first line, if nothing seems to happen then it went through!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hehe. Ok this doesn't look good. The first lie came up "mkdir: Cannot create directory '/mnt/windows': File exists"

and the second line brought up the same "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock..." as it did the first time.

Should I look into getting Knoppix... I mean it'll be as hassle but I'll do anything to help you guys help me!

I think Jay had it right the first time
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    you could try installing ntfs-3g instead of downloading knoppix, it doesn't really matter wich distro you use, they all use the same tools.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    alrighty...

Don't know what that really means. First that command code didn't do anything like the last time.

How can I install some other driver if I don't have a hard drive working? If I am running this distro off a cd then what could i write my downloads to? Slash... what is ntfs 3g i googled it and is seems to be a driver.

Even using a LiveCD, no matter the version, you can install programs just as you would with a HDD install. The only difference is that upon reboot, those upgrades will be lost.
    Try the download as Mike suggested... NTFS-3G
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jr312 View Post
    alrighty...

Don't know what that really means. First that command code didn't do anything like the last time.

How can I install some other driver if I don't have a hard drive working? If I am running this distro off a cd then what could i write my downloads to? Slash... what is ntfs 3g i googled it and is seems to be a driver.
    What did happen?
    Did you launch the code cited in my last post?
    If you got no errors, then usually that means it worked.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    What did happen?
    Did you launch the code cited in my last post?
    If you got no errors, then usually that means it worked.
    Sorry, let me try to be more clear. The first time I did "sudo mkdir /mnt/windows" nothing happened so i guess that is good, after doing subsequent times, it says "mkdir: Cannot create directory '/mnt/windows': File exists". so maybe because i worked the first time it won't do it again since the process has happened... i don't know.

"sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows" has consistently given me "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many mounted file systems".

sorry i didn't realize that these commands mount drives so i never went to see if i could access files in that file manager - i will do so when i get home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Even using a LiveCD, no matter the version, you can install programs just as you would with a HDD install. The only difference is that upon reboot, those upgrades will be lost.
    Try the download as Mike suggested... NTFS-3G

Cool! I will get this 3G program tonight, and a flash player so i can waste sometime on youtube. But does this mean that i will be limited to my RAM...thus i essentially have one gig of storage memory?

also sorry about the double post, just noticed the multi-quote button.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast