Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by jr312 Cool! I will get this 3G program tonight, and a flash player so i can waste sometime on youtube. But does this mean that i will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jr312 View Post
    Cool! I will get this 3G program tonight, and a flash player so i can waste sometime on youtube. But does this mean that i will be limited to my RAM...thus i essentially have one gig of storage memory?

also sorry about the double post, just noticed the multi-quote button.
    Look for ntfs-3g in the system package manager(add remove programs) and for flash, you might need to download that from adobe, but check for this in your package manager too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    hey sorry - i tried that link but couldn't figure out where the download link was... also i have no idea how to get to my package manager either... really sorry to be such a noob!

I'm don't even know if your distro has a package manager, but I'm sure it does. It should be in the system menu somewhere. Being a newb, you really want to avoid installing stuff from source anyway, it just makes life more confusing for you.
    Anyone know if DSL has a package manager and how to access it?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Anyone know if DSL has a package manager and how to access it?
    It's called MyDSL. Not sure right this moment about how to access it. I'll dig out my copy of DSL and get back in a moment.

*EDIT*

Ok... so I booted DSL, not the latest version though (4.2.5), but I have an icon for MyDSL on the desktop. If it's not there, you should be able to right-click somewhere on the desktop to bring up a menu to access it from there. Upon some Googling, though, I think NTFS-3G has been replaced by ntfsprogs.dsl & ntfsprogs-2.uci. Looking into them, I believe this is what you need. I'm unable to test however as I don't have Windows on this machine anymore.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    It's called MyDSL. Not sure right this moment about how to access it. I'll dig out my copy of DSL and get back in a moment.

*EDIT*

Ok... so I booted DSL, not the latest version though (4.2.5), but I have an icon for MyDSL on the desktop. If it's not there, you should be able to right-click somewhere on the desktop to bring up a menu to access it from there. Upon some Googling, though, I think NTFS-3G has been replaced by ntfsprogs.dsl & ntfsprogs-2.uci. Looking into them, I believe this is what you need. I'm unable to test however as I don't have Windows on this machine anymore.
    OK so I went into myDSL and started looking around, I got it to download a database of what looks to be programs I can get. I found ntfsprogs.dsl and it is in my myDSL folder but double clicking on it does not install it or anthing like that so now what is my next step?

Quote Originally Posted by jr312 View Post
    ...but double clicking on it does not install it or anything like that so now what is my next step?
    Did the double-click give any kind of result at all? The reason I ask is because MyDSL downloads don't show up in the Apps folder of your menus, but under a new folder in MyDSL. You should also see (after double-clicking it) some sort of little dialog box with 'Program Info' or something similar.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Did the double-click give any kind of result at all? The reason I ask is because MyDSL downloads don't show up in the Apps folder of your menus, but under a new folder in MyDSL. You should also see (after double-clicking it) some sort of little dialog box with 'Program Info' or something similar.
    so this part is confusing the life out of me. I also got a version of skype off myDSL and basically after installing it just makes some files in the myDSL folder just like ntfsprogs. When I double click on what look like the executables nothing happens, the first click highlights it and the second de-selects it. both programs came with txt files when only have on line of what looks like serial codes.

so in my myDSL folder i have ntfsprogs.dsl, ntfsprogs.dsl.md5.txt,
    skype has those same two but also a .app file.

right clicking on them gives me a few options such as "DFM for X11" "mpunt" "open" "options"...

open doesn't do anything and options gives me a window with a lot of program details and apply or close buttons.

i can't find any trace of either program in my apps folder.

how do i actually execute installs or programs???

Just Joined!
    hey guys. I am getting kinda frustrated not being able to get anywhere tinkering with this distro. Would it be a better idea go get another more popular liveCD like Knoppix or I found one called Helix3. I mean that way I wouldn't have to ask here for step by step small stuff because a lot of other people used those and I could find more written about the process online... then i could ask you guys the more important harder stuff...

I found this step by step with Knoppix - do you think I could use/try it?

I think i'll looking into getting Knoppix. Good idea? Should it make this any easier? Because at the moment I can't even figure out how to execute a file.

If you can get your hands on a Knoppix disk, then go for it. It does make a couple of things easier, but you may still run into a few problems here and there. But we do have a Knoppix-only section of the forum here, and quite a bit of the info there would apply to DSL in some fashion or another.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!

trying to get my data with knoppix

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out my problem using Damn Small Linux distro but can't seem to get too far. I finally got my hands on Knoppix which I hear I have a better chance with. For a look into my problem, you can see where I posted about it elsewhere here and met many helpful people. I figured I should get knoppix if it'll make everyone's life easier.

So after booting, I clicked my the hda1 on desktop but it wouldn't even get past 0% mounting. Then i got the following message:

could not mount device.
    the reported error was:
    error reading $Mft record(s): input/output error
    failed to open inode: input/output error
    failed to mount '/dev/hda1: input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chdsk /f on windows then reboot it TWICE!
    the usage of the /f parameter is very important! No modification was made to NTFS by this software.

I hope I don't actually have to run chkdsk cuz there is no way i could get into windows right now.

please help and thanks to all!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast